YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community


Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.

Go Back   YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community > YorkieTalk > General Yorkshire Terrier Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2019, 06:29 AM   #1
Yorkie mom of 3
Donating YT Member
 
Lovetodream88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: LaPlata, Md
Posts: 21,140
Default dog mom/dog owner shaming?

Does anyone ever feel dog mom or dog owner shamed? I give my babies heart worm medicine and flea and tick medicine every month. Lately it seems like people want to shame those that do it by saying well your poisoning your dog and don't you love them and stuff. It bothers me because I feel like a good dog mom. Heartguard has been around forever and I feel it is safe and much better to give that then let them get heart worms and possibly die from the very expensive treatment of that and be left with heart issues the rest of their life. I also feel like because I take mine to dog events, training (some if it is outside), and that they go potty exclusively outside that they need protection from fleas and ticks. If they do get fleas they could take over the whole house and cause them to have so many issues especially Callie with all her allergies. We also know ticks can give nasty illnesses to. Whether its a pill or a topical it still goes into their blood stream. Anyway I used to never get human mom shaming but now I get it because I feel like I'm getting dog mom shamed. I feel like I do my homework and research and do what I think it best for my babies.
__________________
Taylor, Veterinary Assistant
I Callie CGC NTD, Joey CGC TKP ETD, Penny and Ollie
Taylor's doggy stuff reviews
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!

Old 04-12-2019, 07:24 AM   #2
YT Addict
 
nanajoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Kissimmee, FL
Posts: 429
Default

I am sorry that you have been "shamed" Taylor. I give all three of mine monthly heartworm meds religiously. Even though Ty and Gus rarely go outside of our screened lanai (Beau likes to potty in the outside grass), we live in Florida and have mosquitos year round. I would never risk that a stray bug inside the screen could compromise their health. I do not give other vaccines, with the exception of rabies, unless a situation occurs which might precipitate a need (example travel to a location where lyme disease is prevalent).

I am always impressed with the research you do on so many matters, and feel that you are more than prepared to make decisions that are best for your beautiful, and well-loved pack of cuties. Although it is always hard to be criticized for decisions that you make, know that you have the right to determine what is best for your babies!
__________________
Joy...Mommy to Tyrone , Gus ,and Beauregarde the poodle
r.i.p. beloved Ozzie and Tucker
nanajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:00 AM   #3
Yorkie mom of 3
Donating YT Member
 
Lovetodream88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: LaPlata, Md
Posts: 21,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanajoy View Post
I am sorry that you have been "shamed" Taylor. I give all three of mine monthly heartworm meds religiously. Even though Ty and Gus rarely go outside of our screened lanai (Beau likes to potty in the outside grass), we live in Florida and have mosquitos year round. I would never risk that a stray bug inside the screen could compromise their health. I do not give other vaccines, with the exception of rabies, unless a situation occurs which might precipitate a need (example travel to a location where lyme disease is prevalent).

I am always impressed with the research you do on so many matters, and feel that you are more than prepared to make decisions that are best for your beautiful, and well-loved pack of cuties. Although it is always hard to be criticized for decisions that you make, know that you have the right to determine what is best for your babies!
Thanks It can be so hard to make decisions for little living beings that can't talk. I try to do my best and what I think is best.
__________________
Taylor, Veterinary Assistant
I Callie CGC NTD, Joey CGC TKP ETD, Penny and Ollie
Taylor's doggy stuff reviews
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:24 AM   #4
Donating YT 5000 Club Member
 
maxdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Brownstown MI USA
Posts: 16,245
Default

There is no doubt you love your babies and would only do what you think is best for them.
__________________
Max & Sasha's daddy
maxdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:19 PM   #5
YT 500 Club Member
 
lilgidget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: stanley nc
Posts: 735
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdog View Post
There is no doubt you love your babies and would only do what you think is best for them.
lilgidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:57 PM   #6
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member
 
Britster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 17,648
Default

You are damned if you do, damned if you don't in the dog world.

I have done a complete 360 because I feel like I probably used to "look down" on people who fed their dogs Purina and yada yada. Now I'm just very "meh, do what works for you and your dogs". But I still won't get myself to ever feed Beneful or Ol' Roy and I won't pump my dogs with vaccines EVERY year and I still will support certain "holistic" companies just like I support more "science based" or whatever you want to call them.

I'm very in the middle, still, myself with regards to a lot of dog issues ranging from training to food choices. But I've learned there is ZERO reason to judge dog owners on what they are doing *unless* it is causing actual harm or neglect to the dog, of course.

In regards to the heartworm meds, it is something I believe in strongly. I prefer to keep my dogs on heartworm preventive year round. That said, I know plenty of dogs here in MD who are not on it (family dogs etc) and never have been and they've always been absolutely fine. So again, who freaking knows? lol.

Flea and tick meds I'm a little more uneasy over and always have been but ticks are disgusting and carry diseases. I am still trying to figure out what to give Jackson because since he potentially has IBD now as well as pancreatitis, my vet does not want me to give Nexgard or an oral chew since if he has a reaction it will be in his system for 30 days. So I am looking into Seresto possibly or maybe even something more "natural" that I can just spray when we go outside on adventures. I usually only give flea/tick meds anyway from around May through September or October.
__________________
~ Brit & Lights! Camera! Jackson! CGC ETD TKP ~
Britster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:22 PM   #7
Yorkie mom of 3
Donating YT Member
 
Lovetodream88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: LaPlata, Md
Posts: 21,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdog View Post
There is no doubt you love your babies and would only do what you think is best for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgidget View Post
Thank you both
__________________
Taylor, Veterinary Assistant
I Callie CGC NTD, Joey CGC TKP ETD, Penny and Ollie
Taylor's doggy stuff reviews
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:35 PM   #8
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member
 
Maximo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 25,023
Default

I have always given my boys Heartgard year round. Our region is high risk for heartworm.



Like Brittany, I'm not crazy about any of the flea and tick preventatives...but, tick disease scares me, and Teddy is highly allergic to fleas. He reacts badly to the preventatives though. Can't win!



Max and Teddy would like to shame me because I go to work 5 days a week and leave them all alone! Boyfriend spends lunchtime with them but they are not as spoiled as they used to be.
__________________
Kristin, Max and Teddy

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:37 PM   #9
Yorkie mom of 3
Donating YT Member
 
Lovetodream88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: LaPlata, Md
Posts: 21,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britster View Post
You are damned if you do, damned if you don't in the dog world.

I have done a complete 360 because I feel like I probably used to "look down" on people who fed their dogs Purina and yada yada. Now I'm just very "meh, do what works for you and your dogs". But I still won't get myself to ever feed Beneful or Ol' Roy and I won't pump my dogs with vaccines EVERY year and I still will support certain "holistic" companies just like I support more "science based" or whatever you want to call them.

I'm very in the middle, still, myself with regards to a lot of dog issues ranging from training to food choices. But I've learned there is ZERO reason to judge dog owners on what they are doing *unless* it is causing actual harm or neglect to the dog, of course.

In regards to the heartworm meds, it is something I believe in strongly. I prefer to keep my dogs on heartworm preventive year round. That said, I know plenty of dogs here in MD who are not on it (family dogs etc) and never have been and they've always been absolutely fine. So again, who freaking knows? lol.

Flea and tick meds I'm a little more uneasy over and always have been but ticks are disgusting and carry diseases. I am still trying to figure out what to give Jackson because since he potentially has IBD now as well as pancreatitis, my vet does not want me to give Nexgard or an oral chew since if he has a reaction it will be in his system for 30 days. So I am looking into Seresto possibly or maybe even something more "natural" that I can just spray when we go outside on adventures. I usually only give flea/tick meds anyway from around May through September or October.
I give DAP and Rabies every 3 years but Lyme, bordatella and dog flu have to be done yearly. If it werenít for Callie and her lower immune system I probably would not do the flu but I canít risk her getting it. I guess there are somethings I have strong opinions about, we all probably do.
__________________
Taylor, Veterinary Assistant
I Callie CGC NTD, Joey CGC TKP ETD, Penny and Ollie
Taylor's doggy stuff reviews
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:20 AM   #10
Donating YT 3000 Club Member
 
matese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: E.Stroudsburg, Pa.
Posts: 54,220
Default

I follow my vets advise, to those that shame you, shame on them. They are not veterinarians. You're an excellent fur mom.
__________________
Joan, mom to Cody RIP Matese Schnae Kajon Kia forever in my A House Is Not A Home Without A Dog
matese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:39 AM   #11
Yorkie mom of 3
Donating YT Member
 
Lovetodream88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: LaPlata, Md
Posts: 21,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
I have always given my boys Heartgard year round. Our region is high risk for heartworm.



Like Brittany, I'm not crazy about any of the flea and tick preventatives...but, tick disease scares me, and Teddy is highly allergic to fleas. He reacts badly to the preventatives though. Can't win!



Max and Teddy would like to shame me because I go to work 5 days a week and leave them all alone! Boyfriend spends lunchtime with them but they are not as spoiled as they used to be.
I feel lucky that Callie just reacted badly to the topicals and not the oral one. Im sure they still are happy pups to be with you when they can.
__________________
Taylor, Veterinary Assistant
I Callie CGC NTD, Joey CGC TKP ETD, Penny and Ollie
Taylor's doggy stuff reviews
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:40 AM   #12
Yorkie mom of 3
Donating YT Member
 
Lovetodream88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: LaPlata, Md
Posts: 21,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matese View Post
I follow my vets advise, to those that shame you, shame on them. They are not veterinarians. You're an excellent fur mom.
Exactly most of the ones that do it have no veterinarian or even vet tech knowledge. Thank you.
__________________
Taylor, Veterinary Assistant
I Callie CGC NTD, Joey CGC TKP ETD, Penny and Ollie
Taylor's doggy stuff reviews
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:42 AM   #13
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member
 
Britster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 17,648
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
I have always given my boys Heartgard year round. Our region is high risk for heartworm.



Like Brittany, I'm not crazy about any of the flea and tick preventatives...but, tick disease scares me, and Teddy is highly allergic to fleas. He reacts badly to the preventatives though. Can't win!



Max and Teddy would like to shame me because I go to work 5 days a week and leave them all alone! Boyfriend spends lunchtime with them but they are not as spoiled as they used to be.
Jackson and Lola also spend 4-5 days a week at home alone during the day but I find dogs are super adaptable.
Almost every other "free" moment including evenings and weekends that I have is spent with them so I try not to feel too guilty. They do a LOT more than the average dog does haha.
__________________
~ Brit & Lights! Camera! Jackson! CGC ETD TKP ~
Britster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:43 AM   #14
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member
 
Britster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 17,648
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetodream88 View Post
Exactly most of the ones that do it have no veterinarian or even vet tech knowledge. Thank you.
__________________
~ Brit & Lights! Camera! Jackson! CGC ETD TKP ~
Britster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:01 PM   #15
Senior Yorkie Talker
 
Mike_and_Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Turkey
Posts: 160
Default

I'm so sorry you got those comments. You are an amazing dog mom and the amount of useful information you research and share here on the forum speaks for your level of knowledge.

Over here I get dog shamed and snarky comments for caring too much about my puppy It's not pleasant but I choose to not listen to those, whose opinions don't really matter)))
__________________
🐾 Follow us on Instagram 🐾
yorkie_mike
Mike_and_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Google
 

SHOP NOW: Amazon :: eBay :: Buy.com :: Newegg :: PetStore :: Petco :: PetSmart


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2003 - 2018 YorkieTalk.com
Privacy Policy - Terms of Use

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163