YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community

Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.

Go Back   YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community > YorkieTalk > General Yorkshire Terrier Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2009, 12:48 PM   #31
♥Tiny Tia my Furbaby♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscat View Post
no need to try and give someone direction who did not need it. If you do not want to have a snarky me, then do not try and tangle , cause I am much older, and a lot more cynical . As well as disabled, single parent, with a kid who is disabled.
In other words , I have been around the block a few times and back, with gray hairs to show for. (yawns)
As you have finally caught on for yourself dogs are NOT allowed in the dorm. My whole point!
Then you decided to try and let me know that I had not read everything correctly. let's get down and snarky
Come on you guys this isn't helping the op
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!

Old 06-14-2009, 12:54 PM   #32
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscat View Post
no need to try and give someone direction who did not need it. If you do not want to have a snarky me, then do not try and tangle , cause I am much older, and a lot more cynical . As well as disabled, single parent, with a kid who is disabled.
In other words , I have been around the block a few times and back, with gray hairs to show for. (yawns)
As you have finally caught on for yourself dogs are NOT allowed in the dorm. My whole point!
Then you decided to try and let me know that I had not read everything correctly. let's get down and snarky
LOL, oh my Gosh, this is ridiculous. My first post wasn't being rude, I'm so sorry you thought I was directing you and you did not need it. It wasn't meant to be like that! Sorry if you thought I was trying to... I don't know even know what you thought I was trying to do. Good lord, people mis-interpret everything.

By the way, I'm not disagreeing with you that dorms are NOT a good place for dogs.

How is this being snarky? (my comment):

Quote:
If you read some of her previous posts, she states that she is the only one living in the dorm, nobody else. And I think she said small dogs ARE allowed.
Also, I totally respect and commend you for being a disabled person raising a disabled son. But WHAT does that have to do with anything? Wow, you just totally turned this into something it shouldn't be. I've been through a lot of stuff in my life too but I don't bring it up because we're on a dog forum talking about how a dog should/should not live in a dorm. Has absolutely nothing to do with life experience.

But, I'll just be the bigger person and apologize to you because my comment was totally not meant to be taken rudely and I was completely taken back by your reply with rolling eyes. I simply just didn't appreciate it. And that's the end of that. Sorry if you mis-interpreted what I wrote and maybe I should have wrote it different?

Also, I want to apologize to the OP, this is not helping you out.

Last edited by Britster; 06-14-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Britster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:03 PM   #33
Inactive Account

Default Is a Yorkie right for me?

I love Yorkies and understand your wish to have one. However, from the little experience I have with them I would say that for a student in one room in a dorm who is out a fair bit, certainly an untrained young pup would be a real handful. They need so much attention and need to be restrained in an X-pen etc and not free to roam about and get into EVERYTHING!!! They are escape artists and want into all kinds of things that are bad for them. Watch out for computer cables etc etc. They can also cry a lot when left alone, especially when they have just left the security of their mother and siblings.
How about an older, trained and quieter rescue dog for this period of your life?
Older dogs are more compliant and adapt better to different situations and traveling around. Pups can be real terrors in the car and the place you may take them to may not be puppy-proofed.
It is a hard decision for you to make, but I would really suggest a trained dog rather than a pup, cute and lovable as they are. All Yorkies are great, so good luck with your search.
brownminerva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:42 PM   #34
www.yorkierescue.com
Donating Member

Hey there, I am in Orange county, and I had a friend that went to UCI. She dormed off campus which was in reality an apt complex where people other than students lived. She still called this place her "dorm" even though it was off campus. So perhaps this place is not a dorm on campus?

To the OP:
You seem like an intelligent young person. The fact that you keep salt water fish and that they haven't died is impressive. My dad kept those for years and we always had some dying. He was obsessive about them as well. Who wouldn't be with a fish going for $40 or $50!

I think at your stage in life it would be ok to get a yorkie. I think they are easier to train when you don't have a 9-5 job where you have to leave them alone all day. Esp if you plan on getting one in Aug you have a few months of summer break with nothing to do but train it! I am fortunate enough to be able to be with my Uni all day, and we were able to get her potty trained and a couple of tricks under her belt by the time she was 4 months. We got her at 12 weeks which is about when you should get one, no younger than that.

Yorkies can be barky, but again, if properly trained, they will stop when you tell them too. They have a bad rep of being hard to train, but actually yorkies are very intelligent and get bored easily. You must always let them know you are the boss, not them.

I would also research a good breeder before you commit to buy one. There are lots of threads on here to help you find a good one. Also, make sure to go to their home, see the pup's parents or at least the mother, do not buy from a pet store, or off craiglist, online, etc. Be prepared to pay around $1000, but just b/c it's expensive doesn't mean it's better/healthier. Beware of breeders who use "teacup" "teddybear" etc to advertise their pups. There are lots of BYB here in OC that will try to rip you off, esp since most the residents around here are fairly well off.

There really is a wealth of info here on YT. You have some time, so read all you can on this wonderful breed before you get one. i am in OC like I mentioned, if you need help i would be happy to help you out, just PM me! good luck!

Last edited by capt_noonie; 06-14-2009 at 01:47 PM.
capt_noonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:57 PM   #35
Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdb5853 View Post
I've never heard of a dorm allowing dogs. If you don't mind, what college do you go to? I can't imagine a dorm environment with people constantly running in and out, doors open, music playing and the social aspect of a dorm being a good place to have a dog. Especially a young puppy.

Are you going to leave it in the dorm room when you go to class? Do you have a job? I can't see a college kid, living in a dorm, going to class and possibly a job, not to mention going out with friends (which is a HUGE part of college life) and having time to train and care for a new baby puppy.

Most dorms have pretty strict rules about what they do and don't allow. My daughter's dorm won't even allow you to hang a poster on the wall unless you use double stick tape and even then, if there's any damage to the paint, you pay for it. I have NEVER heard of a college dorm that allows dogs? Can you imagine the chaos of dogs and college kids in a dorm environment, with dogs running all over, barking, pooping and peeing, etc? It just sounds like a disaster to me.

Not to be harsh, I'm just trying to understand.
You're not being harsh, you're trying to make sure a Yorkie is right for me, which is exactly what this thread is for!

I just call it a dorm but it's actually an apartment. The location is extremely quiet too, so no worries about no noise level except from the dog itself.

Yes, I'm going to leave it in my dorm when I go to class, but most of my schedule is "go to class, come back for an hour, go to class, come back, etc. etc." I'll be at the dorm constantly throughout the day. I'm sure that's more than anyone with a job could be at home.

I have a semi-part-time job but it's online, which means it's at my dorm. And my friends come to my room sometimes and othertimes we go out to dinner, but not on the level of what you see on TV or anything. Maybe once every two or three weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britster View Post
If you read some of her previous posts, she states that she is the only one living in the dorm, nobody else. And I think she said small dogs ARE allowed.
I'm actually a boy, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdb5853 View Post
I just re-read your notes to see if I could find where you said that dogs are allowed in the dorm. Now I see that you have said that dogs are NOT allowed in the dorm, but as long as they aren't constantly barking, they unofficially allow it.
I absolutely made sure they did not care if I had a dog and checked with the manager twice on two different occasions. It's one of those things they have on the books but that is never reinforced. They said they were "kewl" with people having dogs as long as they didn't cause any trouble. Believe me, I wouldn't be buying a dog at a place that doesn't allow it if it meant I would have to take it back home.

Quote:
I'm afraid that if you do get a yorkie, you will be back on here after you get him asking how to get him to stop barking and then in a few more days, you will be asking how to re-home or that he's now for sale as it didn't work out. I've seen it happen and would like to prevent it.
Well of course I will want it to be the barkiest dog, but the noise thing probably won't be too big of a problem since there will only be people living above me and no one around me. It's not going to be rehomed, but if worst came to worst (which I doubt), it would just go back home with my loving parents and brothers.

And I think a lot of you are going off of cliches about college students. Generally, the ones who perform well aren't out partying with friends every night or hitting the town. Me especially, as I am anti-drugs, smoking, drinking, everything. At the most I have a club meeting once a week at night and then go out with friends maybe once every two or three weeks. For me, it's work (school), eat, and sleep, so I'm only at school and at my dorm (apartment).

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_noonie
Hey there, I am in Orange county, and I had a friend that went to UCI. She dormed off campus which was in reality an apt complex where people other than students lived. She still called this place her "dorm" even though it was off campus. So perhaps this place is not a dorm on campus?

To the OP:
You seem like an intelligent young person. The fact that you keep salt water fish and that they haven't died is impressive. My dad kept those for years and we always had some dying. He was obsessive about them as well. Who wouldn't be with a fish going for $40 or $50!

I think at your stage in life it would be ok to get a yorkie. I think they are easier to train when you don't have a 9-5 job where you have to leave them alone all day. Esp if you plan on getting one in Aug you have a few months of summer break with nothing to do but train it! I am fortunate enough to be able to be with my Uni all day, and we were able to get her potty trained and a couple of tricks under her belt by the time she was 4 months. We got her at 12 weeks which is about when you should get one, no younger than that.

Yorkies can be barky, but again, if properly trained, they will stop when you tell them too. They have a bad rep of being hard to train, but actually yorkies are very intelligent and get bored easily. You must always let them know you are the boss, not them.

I would also research a good breeder before you commit to buy one. There are lots of threads on here to help you find a good one. Also, make sure to go to their home, see the pup's parents or at least the mother, do not buy from a pet store, or off craiglist, online, etc. Be prepared to pay around $1000, but just b/c it's expensive doesn't mean it's better/healthier. Beware of breeders who use "teacup" "teddybear" etc to advertise their pups. There are lots of BYB here in OC that will try to rip you off, esp since most the residents around here are fairly well off.

There really is a wealth of info here on YT. You have some time, so read all you can on this wonderful breed before you get one. i am in OC like I mentioned, if you need help i would be happy to help you out, just PM me! good luck!
I go to UCI too and live (or will live) off campus. Yes, it's in reality an apartment complex but most people call them dorms just because. Did your friend have a Yorkie?

Yeah, I completely agree with your "at this stage in my life it's okay to get a Yorkie." Am I supposed to wait until I get a full-time job to get one? o_O I think now would be the best time, since I'm independent and have tons of free time.

So right now, I guess I need to find a good breeder then! Are there any well-known ones from OC on here?
WaterPKMNMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:08 PM   #36
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterPKMNMaster View Post

I'm actually a boy, haha.

And I think a lot of you are going off of cliches about college students. Generally, the ones who perform well aren't out partying with friends every night or hitting the town. Me especially, as I am anti-drugs, smoking, drinking, everything. At the most I have a club meeting once a week at night and then go out with friends maybe once every two or three weeks. For me, it's work (school), eat, and sleep, so I'm only at school and at my dorm (apartment).

Oops! LOL. Well in that case, you're my kind of guy. I'm the same way. Just never been huge into the partying scene, my family are all big partiers and I think growing up around it made me realize I didn't want to be like that, lol. I don't drink, smoke, do drugs, etc. I've had sips now and then of alchohol but that's about it. I hate the stereotype of college kids.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:31 PM   #37
www.yorkierescue.com
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterPKMNMaster View Post
I go to UCI too and live (or will live) off campus. Yes, it's in reality an apartment complex but most people call them dorms just because. Did your friend have a Yorkie?

Yeah, I completely agree with your "at this stage in my life it's okay to get a Yorkie." Am I supposed to wait until I get a full-time job to get one? o_O I think now would be the best time, since I'm independent and have tons of free time.

So right now, I guess I need to find a good breeder then! Are there any well-known ones from OC on here?
She didn't have a dog, but I know of a few apt complexes there that "allow" dogs. I am totally behind you getting one, just do your research on a good breeder. You seem like a really smart person. Summer break is the perfect time to get a dog I think! I didn't get Uni in OC, I got her in hacienda heights. But if you're looking for one in OC I'm sure you can search around here on YT. Good luck!

Oh have fun in Japan, I'm so jealous!!!
Old 06-14-2009, 08:59 PM   #38
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Is A Yorkie Right For Me

Whether or not you get a Yorkie will be your decision in the long run. I would suggest that you do a whole lot more research on the breed. A good place to start would be the Yorkshire Terrier Club information site. I believe there is a Yorkie Club in Southern California as well.

It might be to your advantage to make a Forever Home to a mature Yorkie, remember you are making a life time commitment. A puppy will put a lot more demands on your time and your patience. Because of the large number of foreclosures there are a lot of lovely small dogs being surrendered. You can check Craiglist and the rescues in your area, get your name on a waiting list for a Yorkie. You will have to pay an adoption fee but it is usually far less than a reputable breeder would charge. Also by getting a mature Yorkie, it would not be so dramatic for it to stay with your family while you go to Japan.

As for the long coat, that is the least of your concerns. Only the show Yorkies HAVE to be kept in full coat. Many Yorkie pet owners keep them cut down in a puppy cut, others prefer to do the work and keep them in full coat, just a matter of personal preference.

Most Yorkies are wonderful travelers. Spending weekends at your parents home will not likely upset a Yorkie, but there is always the exception.

As a student, can your budget handle the expense of quality food, Spring or filtered water, good vet care and regular grooming? None of these things come cheap, especially in Southern California.

Do your homework. That is the key to choosing the pet that is right for you.

Good Luck!
Old 06-14-2009, 10:38 PM   #39
Senior Yorkie Talker

One other thing I learned quickly from YT is that while you can have a collar for identification, make sure to only use a harness to attach to the leash. They have delicate tracheas and can be harmed easily. You might consider micro-chipping also. Best of luck!
Old 06-14-2009, 11:00 PM   #40
Thor's Human
Donating Member

Hm, let's see:

* I would also consider a rescue, EXCEPT that a reputable rescue will probably require a letter from your landlord stating the dogs are allowed... so that would be tough.

* Something to consider is that your dog may need a lot of exercise. I usually take mine out for at least an hour every day to play fetch or to let him run around. Will you be able to make that time commitment?

If you keep him tired, he will be less likely to bark.

* I think in Orange County, you should expect to pay $800 MINIMUM for a yorkie. I think anything from $800 to $1600 is reasonable. Again, if you get an older yorkie, it will be cheaper.

* MAKE SURE you go to a good breeder, rescue, even a re-home. There is a sticky with tips on how to find a good breeder. Some puppy brokers pose as rescues, so you need to look into those as well. I also met a woman who got two beautiful yorkies off of craigslist, and she said one had cost her $4K in vet bills. So it's very important to make sure you get a healthy dog. If you get a re-home, make sure it comes with a vet check.

Again, and I hate to say this, a very good breeder would probably not want to sell you a dog knowing that dogs are technically not allowed in your apt. And they should ask you a lot of questions, so this will most likely come up. So you will need to think about how to do this without going someplace shady.

* As other people have said, make sure that as a student, you will be able to afford the dog and its care. This includes the possibility of an unexpected emergency that could possible cost another $1,000. You might want to get pet insurance.

* Puppies take a LOT of time, not just with house breaking (which can be a killer), but they also go through teething, they need to be socialized, they may challenge your authority, etc, etc. It's also your job to expose a puppy to lots of different people, dogs, and places to get it well adjusted and confident in the world. Make sure this is the right time in your life to do this. Also, can you take the dog to puppy class?

It's great that you are doing your research beforehand. I'm sure you can pull this off if you are really determined, but once you're in, you're in, so again, just think it through. Is there an animal shelter nearby you can volunteer at to get more experience with dogs? I walk dogs for a shelter once / week.

Good luck!
Old 06-14-2009, 11:04 PM   #41
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Hm, let's see:

* I would also consider a rescue, EXCEPT that a reputable rescue will probably require a letter from your landlord stating the dogs are allowed... so that would be tough.

* Something to consider is that your dog may need a lot of exercise. I usually take mine out for at least an hour every day to play fetch or to let him run around. Will you be able to make that time commitment?

If you keep him tired, he will be less likely to bark.

* I think in Orange County, you should expect to pay $800 MINIMUM for a yorkie. I think anything from $800 to $1600 is reasonable. Again, if you get an older yorkie, it will be cheaper.

* MAKE SURE you go to a good breeder, rescue, even a re-home. There is a sticky with tips on how to find a good breeder. Some puppy brokers pose as rescues, so you need to look into those as well. I also met a woman who got two beautiful yorkies off of craigslist, and she said one had cost her $4K in vet bills. So it's very important to make sure you get a healthy dog. If you get a re-home, make sure it comes with a vet check.

Again, and I hate to say this, a very good breeder would probably not want to sell you a dog knowing that dogs are technically not allowed in your apt. And they should ask you a lot of questions, so this will most likely come up. So you will need to think about how to do this without going someplace shady.

* As other people have said, make sure that as a student, you will be able to afford the dog and its care. This includes the possibility of an unexpected emergency that could possible cost another $1,000. You might want to get pet insurance.

* Puppies take a LOT of time, not just with house breaking (which can be a killer), but they also go through teething, they need to be socialized, they may challenge your authority, etc, etc. It's also your job to expose a puppy to lots of different people, dogs, and places to get it well adjusted and confident in the world. Make sure this is the right time in your life to do this. Also, can you take the dog to puppy class?

It's great that you are doing your research beforehand. I'm sure you can pull this off if you are really determined, but once you're in, you're in, so again, just think it through. Is there an animal shelter nearby you can volunteer at to get more experience with dogs? I walk dogs for a shelter once / week.

Good luck!
That has got to be some of the best advice I have seen on here!
Old 06-14-2009, 11:37 PM   #42

You know, I keep reading how your landlord doesn't allow dogs but that they don't enforce that rule. I've got a few years under my belt and I've learned a bit about that sort of "arrangement". Mostly that you should NEVER go on assumption when it comes to business. If it's not in writing, do not think you'll win. You won't. What IS in writing is "we don't allow dogs."
The folks above you will get mighty sick of the lil feller barking every time you're in class and they'll call the landlord and then...buh-bye shorty! Don't let it happen. GET IT IN WRITING how "kewl" the landlord is and how he WON'T enforce the 'no dog' rule. You must have an amendment to your lease IN WRITING, stating that you are allowed to have this puppy living in your dorm. You seem like a pretty smart kid. Don't lose sight of it over puppy love.

Outside of that, I think you sound like a great candidate for a pet and I hope whatever you choose to do, suites you to a T! If that includes a little Yorkie, so be it. Good luck with your future, whatever it holds!
shannonroselive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:08 AM   #43
Yorkie Yakker

I should probably triple-check with them then just to be as safe as possible even though they kind of got annoyed the second time I asked.

And uh, if the neighbors above me are like any other normal college students, they'll be gone during most of the day too. So they won't hear it. Plus I could just ask them not to say anything if they do hear it. College students are very understanding! Besides, if the apartment I'm going to is anything like the one I was in this year, the people upstairs will be making loud crashing sounds every time they walk (they even woke me up at times this year). I could, in a way, make a deal with them... "you don't complain about my dog, I won't complain about your loud walking and crashing."

Oh, and I know you guys won't like this, but fish weren't allowed at my dorm this year either. But I still brought my salt water fish tank since I knew I'm responsible enough not to have water spill or anything. I had them at my dorm for the whole year, with people coming in, and no one ever said anything. :x

But yeah, I'll triple check on the allowing a dog thing! They allow cats, and I think the only difference between the two is that dogs are louder, so yeah.. don't see how dogs could be any more harmful. If I train the dog to be quiet by shaking coins in a can before I go and from the start it will probably know that it has to be quiet.

Last edited by WaterPKMNMaster; 06-15-2009 at 05:10 AM.
WaterPKMNMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:57 AM   #44

1. I know Yorkies can be yelpy, but are their barks loud enough for people walking by - outside of your apartment - to hear them? It's hard to tell from the videos on YouTube how loud they are.
I can hear my Bella Mia when I pull into the garage.

2. Would the dog get stressed if it was consistantly living in two different places? On the weekends I always go home to my family, so the dog would be home for about 2.5 days each week and at my dorm the other 4.5.
I think they get to accustomed to the routine. I think that they are happy as long as they can be with you.

3. How much do Yorkie puppies typically cost? I feel so uncomfortable looking for one to buy because the prices range anywhere from free, to $200, to $2000.
I live in Northern CA. I paid 750 for my yorkie who was reduced from 1200. HOWEVER, she is not AKC registered she is ACA registered. BIG difference if you want to show or breed. I bought her without seeing the papers and when they finally arrived I was already attached to Bella Mia. BIG SCAM!!! RESEARCH your choices.

4. Does anyone know a good place to buy a Yorkie in SoCal, specifically within Orange County?
I
don’t but again I stress RESEARCH!!!!!!

5. Will the Yorkie get stressed if I have odd hours at times? Sometimes I'm awake at 7 in the morning and go to bed at 1, other times not until 12 PM and staying up until 3 or 4 AM. It varies widely depending on the quarter at school. I would still be at my dorm for hours and hours each day though, so the amount of time isn't an issue, it's the time of the time.
I think they have their schedules you may be up but they may be asleep in your lap but then again you may be asleep and they me awake trying to wake you up. Bella Mia licks constantly till we get up and play.

6. Is this the basics of what you do with a Yorkie or any dog for that matter?: feed them, give them water, give them baths, brush and cut their hair, brush their teeth, wipe their eyes, give them shots and take them to the vet 1-2 times a year, pick up their poo until they are potty trained, walk them, play with them, buy them toys. (Yes I know silly to ask, but like I said I've never owned a dog before.)
Feed a high quality food think pet store not walmart. We use Chicken soup for the puppies soul. I think it is a 7lb bag for about $9. They can also learn very cool tricks. Bella Mia can shake, sit, lay, high five, sing, pick up her toys, and we are trying to teach her play dead.

7. I'm going to Japan in July and won't be back until August 1. Will the month of August and half of September be enough time to train the Yorkie at my home and then take it to my dorm where it can be happy and obedient?
HAHAHHAHHAHAHAHHHAHA ROTFLMAO!!!!!!! NO!!!!!!!!! Happy YES!!! but OBEDIENT HAHHAHAHHAHHAHA JUST KIDDING!!!!!! Yorkies are notoriously bad at potty training! Bella Mia took about a year.

8. What's the youngest I can get a Yorkie? 8 weeks?
12 weeks is the recommended but I know a breeder who will not let hers go until 13 weeks or later is she feels the pup is not ready.

9. Frankly I think Yorkies with long coats are ugly (and girlie), lol. Is it normal to have them with short hair.

Our groomer calls it a puppy cut and it is a your preference. Mine is in the middle.
Princessangela3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:31 AM   #45
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

I have read this entire thread with great interest and you have made a few good arguments for getting a puppy and several ppl have, if not made an argument against it, indeed given you great advice and food for thought. This is what I have concluded.

First, and maybe most importantly, you have made several asumptions that you state for a fact. Namely, you give yourself a couple of months to potty train your puppy at home. This process takes months not weeks, somtimes years, so if you get a puppy, please do not assume no matter how diligent you are during those weeks, that it will happen on schedule.

Secondly, you also assume you can shake a can of pennies at your puppy and it will just shut up. I have been trying to use this method and many others on one of mine and she even barks at whatever method I am using to stop her from barking!

Furthermore, you say, due to class schedule, you will be coming in and going out several times during the day, I think you said every hour. I think this will cause great stress on any puppy. It will never know any stability or security. Dogs do not understand real time. You can go get mail and when you come back they behave like you have been on a long voyage. The point I am making is this, your puppy will find it very difficult to "settle", and this causes neurotic behavior, then barking will be the least of your concerns.

Being a student, you will need to study some time. Time will become a top commodity, have you considered that just when you are trying to digest some really important facts and your puppy needs you for whatever, are you going to be able and willing to stop, really stop, and go out with him or clean up a mess or stop to take care of countless other whatevers? Remember, he will not know or care that you have a test in the morning. You will have to give up a lot of time that you would otherwise use to do other things for this puppy. It is a living, breathing being and as such, a big responsibility and commitment, very much like a child would be.

I have only touched on a few of the issues envolved in owning a puppy. Any kind of dog, at any age presents it's own needs and problems. I'm not trying to deter you from getting a dog, even if it sounds that way, I am trying to help you to understand that things don't just take care of themselves or happen the way we plan. You will find this applies to every aspect of life.

You appear to be a bright young man, maybe because I have two sons, I never thought you were a girl, so think about it and stay on this forum. There are many ppl here who have great expertise and very willing to help. Read all you can, keep asking questions. We see many ppl, young and not so young, make terrrible mistakes because they did not think things thru and the dogs are the ones who suffer. Prevention is the best cure. You won't have to be here long to find pple pulling their hair out and ready to throw the dog under the bus because they thought owning a puppy was just soooo cute, then discover it's a lot of work and that cute puppy isn't soooo cute when it just ate your favorite pair of shoes or poo'ed on your bed and kept you up all night crying and aternating with barking and throwing up.

Owning a dog can be one of the most rewarding adventures in life. Whenever you decide to have one, make it a rewarding experience for the dog as well as for you, it is one and the same. Good luck with your decision and if you do get one, good luck with it as well. I look forward to reading your posts and learning more about you, it is a pleasure to have you on the board.
camile is offline   Reply With Quote