YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community

Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.

Go Back   YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community > YorkieTalk > General Yorkshire Terrier Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2014, 03:14 PM   #1
YT Young Pup

Default Moms: Can You think of why my mom won't let me have a yorkie?

Hi,

I'm new to YT. I really hope when you read this I don't sound selfish or whiny...

For the past few years, my sister and I have really wanted a dog. We've done the research, know about hypoglycemia, coccidia, giardia, housebreaking, etc., We are both willing to help be the caretakers for the dog's entire life.

Unfortunately, I don't know why my mom keeps on saying "No"....
When I ask her, she doesn't answer--when asked if it was the poop or the work or the money--she doesn't answer.
She had dogs when she was little and LOVED them.
I will be homeschooling so she necessarily won't have to be the only one taking care of the dog while I am at school.
Let me know if you need any more information!
Moms: what are your thoughts?

--thelittleyorkie
thelittleyorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!

Old 07-26-2014, 03:42 PM   #2
Donating YT Addict

probably cause it's her home and ultimately when your life changes like perhaps you go away to college or move to an apartment that does not allow dogs she will wind up being the one to have to keep the pup at her house. Not what you probably want to hear but IMHO until a person lives on their own it's not the best idea for them to have a dog unless everyone in the family wants a dog. I am not sure how old you but say you are 16, yorkies can live a good 12 years plus, so that would mean you would have him when you were 28, kids between the ages of 16-28 go through a ton of changes in living situations. Perhaps you can find an animal shelter to volunteer at until you have a place of your own
Old 07-26-2014, 03:44 PM   #3
No Longer a Member

Well, first, I would like to say that you are quite well-spoken and seem intelligent. How old are you exactly?

Second, as a mom, I can think of a couple of reasons, but, again, as a mom, I'm not sure you will quite understand until you are a parent. It's one of those "you can't know what it's like until you experience it" things. Nothing I am about to say is meant as insulting or condescending, just trying to be straight forward and honest with you.

1. You say you are willing to take care of the dog for its life. A Yorkie can live quite some time, and as a minor, even though you may have the very best of intentions, the truth is, you cannot know what you will be doing ten years from now.

2. As a minor, even if you do all the work, the responsibility of actually making sure it is all actually done (feeding, bathing, training, vet care) will absolutely still fall on your mothers shoulders. Even if you and your sister do all the work, your mom still has to be the one checking to make sure it is done.

Hopefully this makes sense to you, as I tried not to ramble. Just remember, when you are on your own, you can make whatever decision you want. Waiting is hard, but you can always take the waiting time to learn even more about the breed you are interested in. You can never know too much
BobbiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 03:45 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Welcome to Yorkie talk!

It might be a possibility that the loss of one of her dogs in the past was really hard for her.. and maybe having another dog scares her. This is just a thought. I think if it's possible then you should sit down with your mom and ask why it is she won't allow you to have a dog. If she doesn't answer, I assume she's trying to hold back on saying something.. especially if she had dogs before.

I hope everything works out for you and that soon your mom can let you get a dog.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:57 PM   #5
YT 500 Club Member

To get a yorkie costs a good bit of money, to keep it healthy and get everything it needs, is also a good bit of cost. By wanting to get a yorkie, you'd have to be able to do more than just home-care, it costs lots of money. It's like having a child/baby in the closest, literal sense.
Not saying you couldn't be responsible "parents" but by wanting a yorkie, you have to take financial responsibility and/or show an incredible amount of care. Either way, someone would have to bare the financial costs and/or bare the care of the pup. There's no guarantee the pup may grow up completely healthy, even with all the care it can be given.
It sounds like you have done some research, which is good. But understand that if it comes down to the yorkie having a health issue (again they can develop, even from good breeding and so on) you have to be prepare or willing to handle that. I wish you the best of luck as I can actually understand your circumstance. Either way you need to discuss this further with your mother and work out a solution for whatever is needed. You would have to show her you are responsible and having the ability to pay for it's care is a plus. Your mother may have her own reasons, but as long as you live in her house, you must have her agreement or abide her wishes.

Last edited by LunarBerry; 07-26-2014 at 03:59 PM.
LunarBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:12 AM   #6
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelittleyorkie View Post
Hi,

I'm new to YT. I really hope when you read this I don't sound selfish or whiny...

For the past few years, my sister and I have really wanted a dog. We've done the research, know about hypoglycemia, coccidia, giardia, housebreaking, etc., We are both willing to help be the caretakers for the dog's entire life.

Unfortunately, I don't know why my mom keeps on saying "No"....
When I ask her, she doesn't answer--when asked if it was the poop or the work or the money--she doesn't answer.
She had dogs when she was little and LOVED them.
I will be homeschooling so she necessarily won't have to be the only one taking care of the dog while I am at school.
Let me know if you need any more information!
Moms: what are your thoughts?

--thelittleyorkie
You sound neither selfish or whiny, you sound young There are so many reasons your Mom could not want a animal in your home at this time. But the fact that she hasn't answered you with any reason, could be that she might have some very painfull memories of her dogs, and is not in a place either emotionally or financially to take on the 18yr or so commitment to a dog.

Volunteer at a shelter, or offer (if your Mom is on board with this) and you are old enough to pet sit a neighbours dog. That can be great fun. Earn some extra money dog walking and save up for one day when you can to own your own dog.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:40 AM   #7
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Ohhhh, my little sweetheart....

When my daughter Anna was a little girl....all she wanted was a beautiful golden Labrador for her very own....she wanted to call her Rosie, and for them to love one another all the world....that was from when she was 8 years old

I told my daughter "you save up for her, every bit of money from your birthdays and Christmas's, and I'll look after ALL the rest until you're working".

Anna did that - she basically had no gifts apart from money until she'd achieved her very own, very wonderful goal OVER 3 YEARS LATER....

At that point (weekend/after school jobs) Anna took over - and I promise you, Rosie didn't need for anything - she really DID take EVERYTHING over (apart from all that walking!!! )

Having said that - if anything major needed desperately doing, then obviously I'd step in - but it made me pleased and proud and totally gobsmacked that my 'little girl' was so totally committed that she could achieve such a wonderful thing....GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 07-27-2014, 09:57 AM   #8
Senior Yorkie Talker

I have spent roughly $4,000 in the first month of getting my dog. Not all dogs are THAT expensive, but you should prepare for it, just incase. Are you willing to pay for all of the expenses? I know I wouldn't have been able to afford $4,000 in one month as a teenager, myself.
Lookingforone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:32 PM   #9
YT Young Pup

Hello everybody

Thank you for all the good advice!
To answer some questions, I am 13 years old My mom is a stay at home mom.

@BabieChloe: I think that might be part of the reason: I remember her saying once that when her dog died she was very sad.

@HarrysMum: Thank you for giving me some added hope! Maybe my mom will agree like you did! We have quite a bit of money saved up from Christmas's and Birthday's so we could use that.

@gemy: Do you think people would allow my sister and I to walk their dogs since we are minors? I think I might suggest that to my mom though! My sister and I applied to volunteer at a shelter but we haven't heard back yet. Hopefully they will soon!

I think the reason why is the financial part and the fact that my mom lost her dog when she was younger. My aunt agreed that if our mom allowed us to have a dog that the pup could stay at her place until the pup is almost completely housebroken if my mom is afraid of the poop. Is this a good idea?

Again, thank you for all the excellent input.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:56 PM   #10
Banning Thread Dictator
Donating Member

I applaud you for doing your research and seeking help from this forum. You are one mature 13-year-old!

I would keep talking to your Mom. You could guess at her reasons forever, but maybe you're missing something.

My problem with youths taking on the responsibility of owning a dog is that the dog, hopefully, will be around long after you've gone off to college, etc. If your Mom lets you have a dog, she's silently agreeing to take care of the dog when you go to an apartment that doesn't allow dogs.

And expenses after getting the dog are worth considering. I've spent far more on vet bills than I ever paid for a Yorkie. You fall and love with them and will do anything you want, but surgeries can run in the thousands of dollars.

Here's another idea: How about a senior dog from animal control? I've got a 10-year-old now that is just as much fun as when he was a puppy. Senior dogs should be through housetraining. Senior dogs are cheaper. And if you adopt a 10-year-old, he or she will have lived a full life by about the time you're ready to move out.

I know, I know, puppies are so much fun.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:58 PM   #11
YT Young Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskayorkie View Post
Here's another idea: How about a senior dog from animal control? I've got a 10-year-old now that is just as much fun as when he was a puppy. Senior dogs should be through housetraining. Senior dogs are cheaper. And if you adopt a 10-year-old, he or she will have lived a full life by about the time you're ready to move out.

I know, I know, puppies are so much fun.
Thank you for replying to my thread! Senior dogs are very sweet. I will suggest the idea to my dad (he's on board with the getting-a-dog idea)
Old 08-18-2014, 07:23 AM   #12
YT Young Pup

Hello!

I just wanted to give everybody an update!

My mom actually agreed to get a dog--one HUGE step forward. She really liked a little maltipoo that came into the rescue (don't worry, this is a legitimate rescue and the pup came from a BYB)....unfortunately, that dream was crushed when someone we know decided to tell my mom all the bad things about dogs! That someone, who recently just got her own puppy a week ago, told my mom that her puppy was running around the house pooping everywhere and that she had to spend $50 on a crate and that her puppy was gnawing and biting on everything. Unfortunately, we are now 10 steps back to where we started now.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:53 AM   #13
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelittleyorkie View Post
Hello!

I just wanted to give everybody an update!

My mom actually agreed to get a dog--one HUGE step forward. She really liked a little maltipoo that came into the rescue (don't worry, this is a legitimate rescue and the pup came from a BYB)....unfortunately, that dream was crushed when someone we know decided to tell my mom all the bad things about dogs! That someone, who recently just got her own puppy a week ago, told my mom that her puppy was running around the house pooping everywhere and that she had to spend $50 on a crate and that her puppy was gnawing and biting on everything. Unfortunately, we are now 10 steps back to where we started now.
Thank you for updating us - I was wondering....

The thing is - I personally think it's best that your mother knows all the down-sides beforehand...I don't think they were 'bad things'....just, often, the reality!!

She's GOT to know that puppies poop, and bite, and gnaw on stuff....that they wake up in the night and cry and get stressed when their 'family' leave...that sometimes they won't eat and often cost a fortune when things go wrong....and it's just wrong for your mother to know, and think of, only the cuddly, snuggly, baby bit of it all....

I personally think it's good that she's been made aware of all of this, before taking on your new little baby - at least she's been made aware of the down-sides as well as your up-sides (waaaaay too many pups in Rescues over here, because of exactly this kind of scenario ).

I really, really wish you luck
Old 08-18-2014, 10:28 AM   #14
2+2=4 X the Love ♥
Donating Member

With ownership comes great responsibility. Dogs in general are a huge responsibility, Yorkies are even harder due to all of the grooming that goes along with that responsibility. Having a puppy is a full time job and as much as you feel that you are ready, ultimately the responsibility of having a dog will falls into your mothers hands since you are so young and you are still in school. There is the cost of grooming, vet cost and so much more involved in taking care of a Yorkie. The training can become somewhat aggravating when it is not going as planned. Puppies are a lot of work and take numerous hours upon hours in order to groom and train them properly. This is just my opinion, but I feel that the best time to get a puppy is during the summer months when you yourself are home and can take full charge of the training process. Having the time to train them is very important in order to set that president for future training so that everything goes well. It is those first few weeks and months of having the pup that are so very important to instill the training necessary to make sure the pup get the training that it needs. That includes potty training, obedience training and behavior training... all of these along with grooming a Yorkie take a great amount of time. Maybe in a years time you mother would have warmed up to the idea.

Take some time to do some research on the breed and on how to go about the proper training of a new puppy. Research the good the bad and the ugly on what puppies are capable of. It is a huge , huge on going task and you and your mother need to be fully aware of what to expect.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:06 AM   #15
Yorkie Yakker

tl;dr - Don't get a puppy. Wait. Wait a LONG TIME. PLEASE trust me.

Sorry my dear, but it's not necessarily the worst thing to wait. As everyone has said above, puppies and dogs are a LOT of work and expense. After waiting for many years, I finally got my yorkie pup two weeks ago. Between work and caring for puppy (plus my other half helps a lot), my days have been FILLED from 4:45am - 10pm everyday. I tried to watch a show the other night and it took me 3 hours to watch a 40 minute program because I kept having to stop for "puppy mom" tasks... obviously a human baby is much more work, expense and responsibility, but a yorkie baby sure gives those human infants a run for their money.

I know you really want one now, but if your mom isn't just as excited as you - DON'T DO IT. It WILL strain your relationship and it is better to wait when the time is right for you to take full responsibility. My younger sister and I have a big age gap so I didn't live at home anymore when my sister was in middle school and she got a toy poodle puppy. My mom was VERY supportive of the decision, but in hindsight it didn't turn out much like my sister may have expected.

Fast forward more than a decade later and my sister has since graduated high school, gone to college and moved out and is very happily living with her wonderful boyfriend. A heck of a lot in your life (as well as you yourself as a person) changes from your adolescence to age 30 - - I'm 30 (my sister is now 24).

This is the point you roll your eyes at me and that's okay - - I would have rolled my eyes at me 15 years ago, too

What happened to my sister's toy poodle? He is still very much loved by our family (although is sadly losing his eyesight and hearing as he steps into his geriatric years) and still loves at home with my mother and stepfather. Even if my sister had wanted to take Seth away with her, my mother would not have allowed it. He had lived much of his life at the family home and my parents provided a lot of his care and it would have been TERRIBLE to uproot him... especially to the chaotic college life... dogs need routine and consistency. Without rigid structure, they are not happy.

Since my sister moved out she has lived in 3 different roommate situations, gone to school full time, worked multiple jobs, enjoyed parties, concerts, dating, friends, etc - - - AWESOME for the early 20's... not so awesome for a needy little dog :/

In my 12 years since leaving home and going to college and growing up I've moved 12 times and even had a broken engagement at age 20 that left me emotionally and financially destroyed. Most of those moves were in my early twenties / college years, but post college, you still have challenges as you are growing your career and discovering what you really want out of life. Even after my "wilder years" simmered down, the 2008 economy crunch led me to cross state moves from Michigan to Ohio, back to Michigan, to Colorado and most recently to Tennessee.

I'm happy to say that I am now doing very well. I've been in a very secure, loving, respectful relationship for 5 years, have an amazing career and am finally living in a beautiful house with lovely yard (after lots of grotty apartments) with my other half. Obviously nothing is ever certain, but we finally decided that we felt secure enough to welcome a dog into our lives that will hopefully be with us well into our 40's.

The other curve ball is when my other half and I started dating, he did NOT like dogs. He previously lived with a girlfriend who took in her family's geriatric dog (a dog she had gotten when she was still a kid and lived at home) after her mother decided a big empty house was too much for her and sold it and moved into a no-dogs apartment. He and his ex lived in a very small upper apartment and the dog was used to a big house and yard. The transition was awful for the dog... it went downhill fast and all of the issues made their living situation stressful and relationship strained. For him, that experience was more than a decade ago.

As I said, we've been together for 5 years. I've always been an animal lover and online dog website stalker and I have to say it's taken 5 years for him to come around, but if you asked me 5 years ago, I would have LAUGHED and said there would be NO way he would eventually help me research dog breeds, vet breeders, pick out supplies, pick out a little guy and help 50/50 with the care. He LOVES our puppy and puppy LOVES him.

If he hadn't come around and decided he too wanted this, it would have been a horrible decision for me to bring a pup into our lives. You learn that if you have a relationship with someone, you have to respect their wants/needs and if you try to make a dog-hater a dog-lover, 99% of the time it will end up with a lot of fighting, ultimatums and likely a broken relationship or homeless dog.

I'm really sorry for the INSANE LONG life story, but after my experiences over the last 15 years (include my parents divorce when I was 17), I could not in good conscience advise anyone to get a puppy that I wouldn't advise to start a family with a human baby. It's a serious responsibility.

Look at me. Two weeks in and I'm "that crazy dog lady" already.
paisleypixels is offline   Reply With Quote