YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community

YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community (https://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Training Questions (https://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/general-training-questions/)
-   -   Oy I am at my wits end with training Zoey... (https://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/general-training-questions/121609-oy-i-am-my-wits-end-training-zoey.html)

Bizzymammabee 03-14-2008 01:13 PM

Oy I am at my wits end with training Zoey...

She really was doing well with her potty training before we had the recent rains. Now she is just going any and every where. I usually get up and walk her and then let her have her breakfast and then in a bit I walk her again. Then when I leave to work she has pee pads which she used to use..not anymore..she seems to love my area rugs. Then the girls walk her when they get home from school. When I get home a bit later I walk her immediately, feed her and keep walking.

I got home yesterday and she had peed and pooed in every part of my house...that's a lot to cover three bedrooms, hallway, livingroom, kitchen and diningroom. I am so damn mad that it's not funny. I cleaned it all up and my head didn't spin off my neck. (suprisingly)

I just picked up and threw out two of three area rugs and the third will come up when hubby can help me. I am so made because they were moderately priced rugs.

I just walked her and she peed and pooed and the minute I turned my back she went by the sofa and pooped twice. They are super duper small poos like if she is forcing herself to poop...because when she goes they are definitely regular sized tootsie roll.

I am so freaking frustrated..she should be doing better than this. Now what sucks is that I am going to have to gate her in the bathroom downstairs when I go to work. I hate the idea of that.

I have no damn idea why she has regressed so badly. Thanks for letting me vent. Any suggestions guys will be greatly appreciated.

MIZBROWN 03-14-2008 02:45 PM

Girl... I totally feel your pain... Not sure how old Zoey is, but it happens. Especially when we think they are doing so well and then we start to get laxed with training. Im going through the same thing with Meka. To the point, that we are trying crate training now. I hate it, but I think its important for her to know that she needs to hold it, until she's let out to do her business. We tried giving her a certain area(s), even gave her free run of the house... cause she was doing great, then started trippen out....she'd walk all the way in the living room (her favorite spot) and poop all over the floor :eek: when she had a small room like area with plenty of space and pee pad near :confused: She just turned 1...and in the beginning (didnt have YT...lol) I thought she'd be trained by now, not starting all over :( But she's my baby and Im gonna do whatever it takes for her to get it right :)

But, I definately agree. You'll need to take the free run of the house away from her... and keep her confined to one area until she learns :)

littlewhip 03-14-2008 03:58 PM

I am having the same problem with molly, She has been totally trained for the last 6 mths, Ever since i started letting her sleep with me, I get up and take her out with the rest of my crew and the min we come back in, she poos on my floor:confused: Its so fusterating when they go back,:( I would hate to have to crate her again, but its looking that way:(

Bizzymammabee 03-14-2008 09:01 PM

Well I went to Toys R US and picked up two baby gates. Now she no longer has free run of the house..I hate that but it is what it is. I will also have to start tethering her to me while I am home. When I go out she will be either gated in the bathroom or kitchen if we all go out. Can't have my 3 year old trying to jump the gate during the day.

Zoey is six months old so I know it will take time but it's just been a bit much the last few days. I am wondering if in addition to the "lemme go" any and every where if maybe she has picked up a stomach bug. I will watch the poo situation and be diligent in my being the potty ghestappo.

It always makes me wonder how come some are fully trained so fast and yet some never get trained. My Lulu was fully trained by 8 months. Not sure if that will be the case here...funny but a girl can hope. What really kills me is that it's the same routine I followed with training Lulu.

tjdmom 03-15-2008 05:16 AM

I sooooo can relate! Zoe hates the rain and the snow especially when it's really cold out. It was raining here last nite. Guess what? I put her out and she just stands by the door to come saying "no I don't have to go potty" not 1/2 hour later she jumps up acting all nervous and lovey and I had a feeling.... I was hoping she was saying "Now I have to go" no such luck. She was actually saying "sorry mommy". She does good when the weather is nice and you would think it only takes a quick second to run out and do what you gotta do but now way not her! UUUgghh!

captianjack 03-16-2008 12:14 PM

Hi just a thought,

Hi I was just wondering, have you tried crating Zoey. I am mostly
new with Yorkies but I have read a bunch of books and I did grow
up with Sheppards and my last one who just passed away in December
which brought Jackie and I together (I really needed a change loosing
her to cancer broke my heart I thought I would never ever have another
dog, in walks Jack and my heart opened a new door) but back to the
subject. My sheppard could hold it for days if she didnt want to go out
in the rain, so I read all the potty training info on Yorkies I could find.

The most interesting information and most repeated information I found,
was the crating method. Yorkies are supposed to be very comfortable in
crates and you just introduce your Yorkie to the crate with as much
positive reinforcement you can starting with putting some of Zoeys toys
in the crate and leave it open and show it to Zoey. Let Zoey go in and out
on her own time. Then when you go out crate him, it may sound mean but
if she doesnt go in her own house she will hold it until you take her out.
If not at least it wont be all over your house. Just make sure its small
so its not a lot of space to go potty and sit away from it.

Captian Jack and I wish you best of luck.

Breny 03-16-2008 01:18 PM

Unfortunatley she probably has too much room to run and needs more restriction. I would gate her in one room. These little ones need time and offering too much space can confuse them.

Good luck with training!!! Hope it gets better for you!

kalina82 03-16-2008 01:26 PM

its most likely that she has too much room to roam when she's unsupervised. i agree that gating her in the kitchen or bathroom is best for potty training and her own safety. i use an ex-pen for Morgan when i'm at work. she's going to be 2 years old (omg..) in less then a month and the only accidents she's had in the past year and a half have been the "OMG i can't hold it any longer because i have the runs" accidents. can't blame her for that.

also you mentioned lots of rain and then when you said "bug" i thought that may be true. the rain brings up all sorts of things from the ground and carries it around. So it may be that Zoey picked up something while out on a walk. if your worried you can take a sample to your vet to test it and make sure.

TeddyandTiffy 03-16-2008 02:41 PM

Training

I know how U all feel I have 2 boys, Galahad will not poo in his litter box or on the puppy pads (They are in playpens now due to Sage being in heat) he will poo on his blankets everytime, and I noticed today that he WAS peein on his puppy pads around his litter box well today he's peein in the litter box and he's 21 months old. Teddy on the other hand is so good he jumps right in his litter box and poos well today I noticed he's pee on the puppy pads around his litter box not in the litter box like he always does & he's 3, makes no sense why they change on us. Our 3 girls 2 of which are almost 9 months old and 1 which is 11 months old are something else, Sage our 11 month old wouldn't potty in the litter box for nothing even crated with it!!! Now she did when she was younger! She'd tear the puppy pads all apart and wouldn't for the life of her or me potty in the room on the puppy pads!!! LOL! So I finally got brave enough to allow her to stay out in our Yorkie room 100% alone day and night, to my suprise God love her she's using the puppy pads good had 1 time where she tore the puppy pad apart and that was it, not a single mess made since and she's been out alone for a week alone & no yelping or hollerin when she hears me up with the girls in the morning, I come in their room and let our other 2 babies out to potty and Sage has done her job on the puppy pads in the morning before I get my girls up for school. I'm so very proud of her!!! Now our Sofie is poo in the floor not on the puppy pads and last week Weezie was peein where ever in the Yorkie room, I never got mad @ them (Which sometimes took eveything in me!! LOL!) just took a deep breath and picked them up calmly and put them on the puppy pad & said U potty here and now she's doing it lol...I think they like to see us get upset really I do, but if we stay calm they are like well shoot that isn't working so they stop or at least mine have for now lol. Well I don't know about Sofie yet she just started pooin in their Yorkie room today, did it one time so it may of been a accident well see tho. I also think it could be their ages of our puppies, I know when Sage was around 8 months old that was my hardest time with her I feel. So I've choose to keep our other 2 gals crated until they get around 11 months too and then try them and see how it works with them, mind U they get out and play & potty but when I can't be in here in the room with them all the time or have to leave then they are crated. I know it's hard to crate but sometimes it's the best for the time being. They do and will forgive, plus if I leave our younger gals out I'm afraid they might chew on the cabinets that we don't have covered with tile. U might want to watch U're baseboards in U're bathroom and cabinets just in case she's teething...U should of seen ours in our living room & kitchen & our kitchen chairs from Teddy and Tiffanie teethin. I hope this may help some of U. Hugs, Lee

Bizzymammabee 03-16-2008 06:03 PM

Update...

Well the confining her and no free room to wander seems to be helping a great deal. She is so not happy to have to be confined but it did make her actually go on the pee pad. I am going to keep her contained unless she can be sitting in my lap. I feel bad because I used to let her go from room to room with me as I did my chores but she can't anymore. I keep her in the kitchen so she has a lot of room. I am back to taking her out every single time that I can. I recently purchased a puppy umbrella but I need to get a longer chain because it's too much upon her and it scares her.

I do think she did pick up some sort of bug so I gave her some meds to combat and her poos while soft are not runny as much. One thing I have no idea why is the fact that she is pooing so much but I will chalk it up to the bug.

I am thinking of changing her food when her tummy gets better. She is currently on Merricks but I might switch to Chicken Soup or Some other equally nutritrious food. I would like to try raw but I know I won't be able to manage it. So I will stick to the best food I can find. Someone recently recommended a dehydrated raw that you rehydrate and it makes a sort of oatmeal consistency so if I can find it locally I will try it.

Keeping my paws crossed for us all. It really can be so damn frustrating.

captianjack 03-16-2008 06:52 PM

Jackie and I are still learning

:aimeeyork
As I said he is my first Yorkie. In fact he is my first little dog.
He challanges me all the time and I love him to death. But he
honestly loves his crate, he sleeps with me at night but when
naps during the day I leave the door open and he chooses to
sleep there himself or he sleeps in his own purse/carry bed or
on my lap depending what we are up too.

I do have a question though, if anyone can help. Maybe I will
have to make a new thread to ask it properly. But here goes.

My question is for all you Yorkie pros and lovers, I just would like
to know if Jack doesn't take food treats (I haven't found one not
cheese or chicken or bacon ect. not a thing works as a treat yet),
but I am attempting to train him to completely do his potty outside.

At the moment he is using the puppy pads quite well but we have
two small problems. The first one being that he only goes on the
puppy pad in a play pen, (just that one play pen means that just
that one play pen hast to go everywhere with us which does end
up with problems even at home we have 4 floors and the second is
I beleive worse, when he gets into a silly mood, he eats the
chews up the puppy pad. If I turn my back for two minutes,
he could be chewing on a nasty bite.

Please advise Captian Jack and I, any opinion would be great.

Thanks ahead,
Jackies Mom

Bizzymammabee 03-16-2008 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captianjack (Post 1854010)
:aimeeyork
As I said he is my first Yorkie. In fact he is my first little dog.
He challanges me all the time and I love him to death. But he
honestly loves his crate, he sleeps with me at night but when
naps during the day I leave the door open and he chooses to
sleep there himself or he sleeps in his own purse/carry bed or
on my lap depending what we are up too.

I do have a question though, if anyone can help. Maybe I will
have to make a new thread to ask it properly. But here goes.

My question is for all you Yorkie pros and lovers, I just would like
to know if Jack doesn't take food treats (I haven't found one not
cheese or chicken or bacon ect. not a thing works as a treat yet),
but I am attempting to train him to completely do his potty outside.

At the moment he is using the puppy pads quite well but we have
two small problems. The first one being that he only goes on the
puppy pad in a play pen, (just that one play pen means that just
that one play pen hast to go everywhere with us which does end
up with problems even at home we have 4 floors and the second is
I beleive worse, when he gets into a silly mood, he eats the
chews up the puppy pad. If I turn my back for two minutes,
he could be chewing on a nasty bite.

Please advise Captian Jack and I, any opinion would be great.

Thanks ahead,
Jackies Mom

I have always started with the pads and then eventually moved them closer to the door. Then as I continually take them out they will just end up doin their business outdoors and forget about the pads. It's definitely about consistency and stayin on top of them even though it makes us want to pull out our hair.

I know part of my problems is that I began to give zoey too much leeway because I probably still subconsciously think of caring for Lulu. She was outside trained by 8 months with no accidents in the house.

Most yorkies love paper...so the pee pad is a paper item to them. I suggest start moving the pad out of the playpen. You can initially take a soiled pad outside and put it where you want him to go. Then he will sort of get the gist that is where he will be going and after he goes there the usual praise works. Then a bit later you will be able to remove that pad and hopefully he will continue to go in that spot.

captianjack 03-16-2008 08:44 PM

Thanks so much(I was hoping to write a short note sorry)

Thanks so much for your reply. Wow I just noticed that you
lost Lulu only a short time ago. I also lost my dog in December
past.
Originally, for the past 14 years I have been a happy and loving
mom to a female German Shepard. Her name turned out to be
Stone, I called her Stoney. We first tried to come up with a name
for her that had to do with jewels and soon after we had her home
we found that we were going to have serious troubles with her
obsessions with eating stones (hence the name Stone). She was
the most loving and caring dog you could ever imagine. She would
get along with any other animal no matter what the other personality
was like and that included a nasty cat that one time stayed with
us and scratched her on the nose to take over the living room every
time my aunt was there. She endured that for a week and just kept
her distance. She was extremely well mannered and never took treats
from strangers (believe it or not even if it was a friend she would
wait for me to ok it and then she would eat it slowly picking through
it. She never ever bit a sole, and ever threatened anyone, only one
time did she feel that she had to take a sort of control and at that time
she just sat and blocked the way and would show her teeth to a man
that was not welcomed to our home until he had been invited in she
didnt budge. Sadly at the beginning of December she came downstairs to my
bedroom (she used to sleep in my room) and in the early morning I jumped
awake to an odd sound, it was my Stoney falling down the stairs. We rushed
her to the animal hospital and after the xrays were in (she had not even
whimpered or complained when they made her hold still for the xrays)
the vet came back and told us she had an advanced bone cancer and
that the reason she had fallen down the stairs was because the last
of her hips had nearly completely deteriorated and that we would be
luckily to have her for another two weeks. He medicated her for pain
and reminded my husband and I that the longer we kept her like this
the more she suffered that it was for us not her. I saw it right away.
She felt punished because she couldnt come to our room anymore for
fear she would fall again. My husband had never been forced to put any
of his animals down before. At the age of 41 now (in the past his parents
and grandparents had always did the painful job for him) he couldnt face
it. I couldnt leave my dog suffering anymore, so I made him stay awake
with her for a night on the 3rd night by 5am he was prepared to let her
go. So on Dec 8th 2007 the day before his birthday we relived her of
her suffering. I said I could never do it again, I was broken. I had been
looking for a Yorkie for over two years at that point and was grateful I
hadn't found one because I didnt know if I wouldn't have felt I was not
there for my Stoney when she needed me most. Our family, for over the
past six years have been fostering mostly dogs and sometimes other odd
animals, for up to six months sometimes more usually less but never owning
any for our family but for Stoney because she was just the kid of lover that
always shared her bowl and bed.

Jackie saved me he is eight months now I got him at the beginning of Feb
I know he wasn't as young as most people say that they should be when
you want to train them properly but he brought me back to life. I swear I
have this amazing feeling like I am a mom again. To top it off he has affected
everyone like this. My oldest son and my husband didn't figure they would
like a small dog like him but they cant resist his charm. I am hooked.

I am so sorry but this really nice being able to talk about and I would love
if you would tell me about Lulu.

all the best and thanks too
JacksMom

racheldawn 03-19-2008 04:17 PM

Your story was very touching Jacks Mom. Thank you for sharing.

Rachel

Bizzymammabee 03-19-2008 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captianjack (Post 1854281)
Thanks so much for your reply. Wow I just noticed that you
lost Lulu only a short time ago. I also lost my dog in December
past.
Originally, for the past 14 years I have been a happy and loving
mom to a female German Shepard. Her name turned out to be
Stone, I called her Stoney. We first tried to come up with a name
for her that had to do with jewels and soon after we had her home
we found that we were going to have serious troubles with her
obsessions with eating stones (hence the name Stone). She was
the most loving and caring dog you could ever imagine. She would
get along with any other animal no matter what the other personality
was like and that included a nasty cat that one time stayed with
us and scratched her on the nose to take over the living room every
time my aunt was there. She endured that for a week and just kept
her distance. She was extremely well mannered and never took treats
from strangers (believe it or not even if it was a friend she would
wait for me to ok it and then she would eat it slowly picking through
it. She never ever bit a sole, and ever threatened anyone, only one
time did she feel that she had to take a sort of control and at that time
she just sat and blocked the way and would show her teeth to a man
that was not welcomed to our home until he had been invited in she
didnt budge. Sadly at the beginning of December she came downstairs to my
bedroom (she used to sleep in my room) and in the early morning I jumped
awake to an odd sound, it was my Stoney falling down the stairs. We rushed
her to the animal hospital and after the xrays were in (she had not even
whimpered or complained when they made her hold still for the xrays)
the vet came back and told us she had an advanced bone cancer and
that the reason she had fallen down the stairs was because the last
of her hips had nearly completely deteriorated and that we would be
luckily to have her for another two weeks. He medicated her for pain
and reminded my husband and I that the longer we kept her like this
the more she suffered that it was for us not her. I saw it right away.
She felt punished because she couldnt come to our room anymore for
fear she would fall again. My husband had never been forced to put any
of his animals down before. At the age of 41 now (in the past his parents
and grandparents had always did the painful job for him) he couldnt face
it. I couldnt leave my dog suffering anymore, so I made him stay awake
with her for a night on the 3rd night by 5am he was prepared to let her
go. So on Dec 8th 2007 the day before his birthday we relived her of
her suffering. I said I could never do it again, I was broken. I had been
looking for a Yorkie for over two years at that point and was grateful I
hadn't found one because I didnt know if I wouldn't have felt I was not
there for my Stoney when she needed me most. Our family, for over the
past six years have been fostering mostly dogs and sometimes other odd
animals, for up to six months sometimes more usually less but never owning
any for our family but for Stoney because she was just the kid of lover that
always shared her bowl and bed.

Jackie saved me he is eight months now I got him at the beginning of Feb
I know he wasn't as young as most people say that they should be when
you want to train them properly but he brought me back to life. I swear I
have this amazing feeling like I am a mom again. To top it off he has affected
everyone like this. My oldest son and my husband didn't figure they would
like a small dog like him but they cant resist his charm. I am hooked.

I am so sorry but this really nice being able to talk about and I would love
if you would tell me about Lulu.

all the best and thanks too
JacksMom

Awww hon...sorry I didn't see this before. I have to tell you your stony sounds like such a doll You were blessed to have each other.

People say dogs are just animals but they are so much more. Isnt' it a beautiful thing to experience that unconditional love.