View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 07:04 AM   #3
gracielove
YT 3000 Club Member

The YTCA is a very good place to start. Although breeders listed may not currently have puppies they may be able to point you in the right direction. There is also a lot of breed info there.

Another option is to go to the AKC website and do a club search. You want to do a state search for conformation clubs as well as breed clubs. These clubs have a breeder referral contact person who will know many breeders in your state as well as others.

Most reputable breeders are producing dogs that mature around 4 to 7 pounds although they may have pups that may be smaller or larger at times.
People who breed strictly for small size do not do genetic testing and are producing stock that is prone to some pretty serious health issues.

I have also had dogs all of my life but never had a terrier until Gracie. There is a huge difference in temperament. These dogs are emotional, stubborn and adorable. I love this breed but I was stumped at first with some of the training issues I encountered. They may be small but they have huge personalities.

I might mention that it is not that we are so offended by the terms "tea cup" or "mini" as we are appalled by the harm that is being done to the breed by irresponsible breeders who produce and advertize such dogs.
http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/gen...s-yorkies.html

Internet searches will almost always bring up puppy mills, brokers, and backyard breeder ads. It takes a bit more research to find a truly reputable breeder as they usually are not trying to take advantage of the current out of control market for tiny dogs.
gracielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!