View Single Post
Old 03-04-2007, 12:29 PM   #25
hasrv4fun
Donating Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaschaben View Post
I know that there are a lot of you out there that don't want to purchase a pup with out being able to go to the breeders and see the mom and dad and how the pup is raised. And that there are those of you out there that think that think a breeder isn't reputiable if they don't want you to come to their place; however, I beg of you not to be too quick to judge those breeders that don't want to tell you where they live. I'm sure that all of you have seen the video of the Yorkies getting stolen, and it is becoming more and more common. I know as a breeder that if I have a litter of pups in my home I hate to even run to the store and leave them at home alone for fear that someone could break in and take them.

I think it is going to be more and more common that breeders are going to arrange a pick up spot and deliver pups in order to protect the dogs and themselves.

Also this is a good reason that when you do buy a Yorkie that it does have papers even if you only want it for a pet. Yes papers can be faked and not all dogs with out papers are stolen. But the chances of getting sold a stolen pup (or a pup out of parents that were stolen dogs) are less likely if that dog has papers.
May I add my two cents to this as it is a very valid thread in these times.
As you all may or may not know I am a small ( well sorta small ) time, old in age and number of years breeding Yorkies .
Now I too have the problem of letting people I don't know come to my house if they live within driving distance to see the puppies and the parents -I as a customer want to see what I am getting and I respect others right to do the same so they need to come or else we will have to do all our business over the internet- how sad that these times force this on us- I prefer the old fashioned way to meet new parents of my little darlings.
Well this is how I do- and those that have been here or have called me and of course those that email-please don't be offended by what I am about to say . I have a security system in place that photographs all vehicles that enter my driveway as well as gets the view of and records the license plate and the people as well. It then tracks all their movements about my home and doggy areas. All telephone calls are recorded and emails are saved. I have a direct call button to a security officer which is available 24/7 that is within 1/4 mile of my home. Yes I also have a backup person on the premises that is not seen until I am sure of the intent of the visitors and then and only then is the security device ( better known as a gun - yah yah don't start on me about guns haha just kidding but being safe ) put away and the prospective customers are given a tour and let see the adults and babies and then invited to sit and have coffee or what ever while I fill out lengthy paperwork and get details of idenity.
I know this seems complicated since I live in a rural area and a distance from a large city but if the Sheriffs wife can be gunned down as she was a few weeks ago just 20 miles from here, can I be to dilligent in protecting my babies ?
I do meet people away from here to deliver babies but only if they are some one I have been working with since the babies were very tiny and have actually gotten to know and then I still take someone with me to make the delivery. I then make them describe their vehicle and I alert the local police that I as a woman will be meeting some one at a location at a set time and will they be nearby if I need them- you would be surprised how often that the police in Tallahassee , Jacksonville , Tampa, Gainesville and many other cities in my state have actuall been sitting somewhere in the same parking lot- that gives me a lot of peace of mind - try it- most will respond with a officer nearby at appointed time. And don't go anywhere without a cell phone that has gps tracking ability so someone can find you.

In the meantime I hope everyone is cautious with out being paranoid and I pray we all will be safe and everyone can continue doing business in this crazy world we live in today. Don't judge those that don't have the security systems in place that I have and are reluctant to let you into their homes- put yourself in their place and try to do your homework and if you think the person isn't being honest with you then run-don't walk away from them and find a breeder your heart and gut tells you is OK.
Thanks all- this is just my 2 cents worth as I sometimes get a bad feeling and don't even give directions to my home and I never post that on my website.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!