View Single Post
Old 02-10-2007, 02:41 AM   #10
FlDebra
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny Merry View Post
Can any one tell me when will my sassy Yorkie stop bitting my hands till they bleed? I have had her 7 weeks and she is now 3? months old. I am at my witts end with her bitting, she is no fun to be near.
Sounds like she must have been pretty young when you got her. One thing they learn in the 8-12 week range from mother and siblings is how far they can go with rough play/biting. The momma dog will gently nip them and growl to let them know when they exhibit inappropriate behavior. So, when we get them young, we need to give them that same sort of mothering to teach them.

I got my girl a little early and noticed she had this same tendency. I had read that a gentle nip with our finger tips, a "no" and redirection would change the behavior. It seemed to work for me. When Sadie would bite too hard, I would give her a gentle pinch on the scruff of her neck, with my fingers (not hard to hurt -- just a physical sign for her), say "no bite" and give her something else to chew on. If she did it again, I would leave her area and stop the play. She learned pretty quick and she seems to restrain herself now. Lots of chewing on us but she quit sinking those little needle teeth in.
FlDebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!