Thread: Help!
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2007, 04:42 PM   #6
Siara28
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordie's Mom View Post
Last night while at work my husband tried something new. He took Jordie out for 10 minutes at a time every 30 minutes, (it was snowing and 13 degrees). If Jordie did not potty while out he put him in his kennel. He repeated this for 3 hours until I got home. As soon as I got home I took Jordie out and stood for about 5 minutes and YEAH, we had a poop outside! When I brought him in my husband and I both praised him for about 10 minutes and gave him a small treat. Do you think it is cruel to put him in the kennel until he goes?

Thats exactly what we did for the first few days to help Scruffy learn that outside is where we go potty. I did that consistently for about 2 days, and then I brought him outside every 20 or so minutes whenever he was awake, and now we are up to every 30 minutes outside whenever he is awake. My pup is almost 11 weeks old, and (KNOCK ON WOOD) he doesn't have ANY accidents if I am consistent. The only 2 accidents that he has had in the last 10 days was #1 I was in the middle of getting my supper in the oven, and it had passed that 1/2 hour mark and I didn't get him outside in time, and the second time, I asked my 10 year old son to WATCH him while I run upstairs to get a cup of coffee (literally 2 minutes) and when I came down, he had let Scruffy have the run of the laundry room, while he was zoned in on his gameboy SO therefore that was my fault also.
Good luck, and NO I do not think that is cruel AT ALL. I would NOT have been as far along on potty training as I am had it not been for crate time.
It is now cold again (high of 10 today) and so outside play is now limited, but he now goes on command.........I say Scruffy Potty, and we are back in the house WITHIN one minute (he HAS to sniff a little too

Last edited by Siara28; 01-28-2007 at 04:45 PM.
Siara28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!