View Single Post
Old 01-26-2007, 06:13 AM   #13
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiej View Post
I have chocolates in my line. My original 2 dogs that brought me the chocolate coloring have never had a sick day in their life. The female is 7 years old and the male is 5. I retired her this past year and had her spayed, but he is still going strong. She is not chocolate in color but he is. Since chocolate is a recessive gene both parents must have the gene in order to produce the chocolate color. I have 2 female puppies right now that are the color of spun caramel. They are gorgous. I'm a vet tech and have had them checked out and they are very healthy! No little faults like has been posted here. So my point is as long as they are being bred properly and AKC doesn't seem to have too big of a problem with it, what's the big deal? I don't think it will be too long before AKC will recognize chocolates without all the hoopla we have to go thru now. It took me 7 years, but finally last year AKC recognized one of my puppies as "chocolate". Before they were called "liver and tan". Hope this helps those who are confused about the coloring versus defects. I've never bred a "defective" chocolate puppy yet.
The YTCA in conjuction with the AKC have opened up the standard to rewrite it. Any off colored; parti, chocolate will be written in as disqualification.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!