View Single Post
Old 12-20-2006, 07:08 PM   #47
FlDebra
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Default I Know What You Mean....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy22
The comment was this........

"Please don't get a Yorkie that is too small. Just as humans must weigh a minimum amount, so must Yorkies. If they weigh less than about 4 pounds as adults, their organs become too tiny to be healthy. There is no such thing as a "tea-cup" Yorkie, and responsible breeders won't sell them.

You wouldn't want a 90-pound adult human, so don't get a 3-pound adult Yorkie!"
I remember feeling much as you describe when I read that post. But there are all sorts posting and the vast majority are pretty good folks with good information. Sometimes people read a little and then think they know a subject. This one may have meant well but was out of line. I keep reading that the standard is 4-7 pounds too and that is not true -- it is merely under 7 pounds which puts all the tinies within standard. I have had the occasional thought too that there seems to be too much negative towards the smaller Yorkies. It is mostly about breeding them, but not all. Seems like a few want to make people feel guilty if they want a tiny Yorkie. Maybe there is a jealousy factor in there for some, I don't know.

I want smaller Yorkies too. I love the tininess! I picked my male because he was healthy, cute as a button and on the small side. I picked a female that will probably be larger than him but I hope not too big. All of the parents were @ 4 pounds. I also have a Jack Russell that is on the small side and a minature dachshund -- see a trend? Yes, I love the small dogs.

There is a book called The Complete Yorkshire Terrier by Joan Gordon and Janet Bennett that shows a Champion from the early 1900's that is only 1 3/4 pounds! He looks very healthy! You are very right -- there is a big difference between being more susceptible to injury and being unhealthy.

I think the majority feel this way -- just a few want to lord it over others about the smaller weights. There is so much great information, comraderie, care, concern, friendship, laughter and fun here -- don't let an occasional wayward post keep you from enjoying this place! There is plenty of room for those who prefer tiny and those that prefer larger Yorkies. I think most just love them all! I know I do!
FlDebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!