View Single Post
Old 12-16-2006, 03:07 PM   #14
mizzwanned
Donating YT 11K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondieGirl87
Aw, Sarah she is just beautiful!!
Don't worry about the eating thing, Jaden did the same thing when I brought him home. He didn't want to eat, he didn't want to drink and refused to go to the bathroom! I was soooo worried I about made myself sick.
What I was told to do by the vet was give him a little bit of nutrical once every hour until he started eating or until you go to bed. *Don't do this for more than 12 hours straight as too much nutri cal isn't good for them and can cause them to become diabetic). That way his blood sugar wouldn't go down too much. Also you can take the wet food and put the dry food in it in a mixer and it will blend the dry food into it. That way if she'll eat the wet food the dry food nutrients will be in there and then you can eventually start adding little bits of the dry food in there along with the crushed in dry food until she starts eating it on her own. Because she's so small and young make sure she does get some food in her belly before bedtime. You can get little eye drop syrgnes at walmart in the medical section for like $1.50 and pick up some baby food (make sure there is no garlic or onion powder in the ingredients) I got Jaden sweet potatoes and Chicken and vegetable flavor. Then you just syrge the food in the dropper and put it in their mouth. Once it's in there they will swallow it. I gave Jaden about 4 droppers worth and a little bit of nutrical and then went to bed and the next morning he ate great. It just takes them a little while to get used to their surroundings. If you're worried about her staying hyrdrated or being too stressed out from the flight you can add a tiny bit of honey to her water. It has a calming effect on their nervous system. I use that trick with Jaden all the time. Pedialyte is also good for making sure they are hydrated. You can make a mixture of 1/2 pedialyte 1/2 water and put that in her bowl and give that to her to drink.
I'm sure she will be fine, she's gone through a lot in one day so she just needs a little time to get used to things Hope this helped!
Hugs,
Joy
Thank you so much Joy. What I did was I gave her Beech Nut Naturals Vegetables and Chicken baby food. There is no onion or garlic powder. She wouldn't eat it so I gave it to her with a syringe. Also I gave her some water afterwards. She is sleeping right now in my cozy blanket. Where can I get Pedialyte? Do they have it at a grocery store? I gave her nutrical and I am also going to try that formula that Luna's mommy posted just in case. I have heard puppy chow isn't the best food but since the breeder gave her that I figured I would until it's safe to switch her food to Innova, or a healthier one she likes. I also used to give Teddy water with honey in it so I will try that with her as well. Teddy liked it. I will update you guys on her. And thanks so much.
mizzwanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!