Thread: seizures
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2006, 07:16 PM   #8
Dan & Corinne
Inactive Account

Poor baby! and Poor Mommie! I know how helpless you can feel when they have seizures and not being able to do anything to help. It's one of the worst feelings in the world - I know...

Please keep us updated on her progress. I'm wishing her well!

Anyhow, until the doctors can find out what's causing the seizures, here are some things you can do to help Lacey.

1. Stay Calm & encourage her in your best "Cheerleader" voice that she is doing great!

2. Grab a towel, she may loose control of her bowel or bladder movement.

3. Have a bag of ice or cold compress in the freezer. As soon as Lacey start a seizure, place the compress on her lower back - between the last ribs and tail. It helps to keep the inner temperature down and it seems to help them recover more quickly.

4. After the seizure she may start pacing for a few to several minutes (Jewel sometimes went 20 minutes or more). They can be temporarily blinded an could walk into walls and furniture so keep an close eye on her.

5. Give her a tiny bit of vanilla icecream (like a teaspoon) to help cool her even more and give her a shot of sugar.

Other Tips:
1. Keep a "Seizure Diary" for your vets.
A. Note the Date, Time and Duration of the seizure
B. Indicate what she was doing before the seizure and how she acted afterwards including how long it takes her to recover.
C. If some one can help you, take a video to show your vet.
D. Take the "Diary" with you to your vet.
E. Call in the seizure to your vet so they can put the episode in their charts.

2. Put a bell on her so you can hear if she's in trouble.

3. If she sleeps on the bed with you, you may want to consider a change since she can fall off if a seizure comes while you are sleeping.

4. Add gelatin to her food (about a teaspoon). It's supposed to be good for brain functions.

5. Get as much gluten out of her diet as possible.

Here is a link to an excellent website about canine seizures:
http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/

Here is a link to a thread I started about how gluten affects seizures:
http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/sho...light=seizures
Dan & Corinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!