View Single Post
Old 10-31-2006, 11:36 PM   #3
SnowWa
YT 2000 Club Member

My two dogs ride in the backseat in their carseats and love every minute of it.

But - even my little Yorkie was frightened the first few times he rode in the car.

So - at first, I had his carseat in the front on the passenger side. Then - most of the time while I drove - I was able to reach over and comfort him and pet him while we drove. We went for short rides at first - only a mile or so - or to the store and back. Also - I deliberately took routes where I could drive slowly - I think this helped him stay calm. And, the breeze from rolled down windows seemed to frighten him a little at first - so we kept the windows up. Sometimes - even a noisy radio can be frightening or confusing for a puppy not used to the car.

If your pup seems frightened and wants in your lap - (don't let him in your lap - this will undo everything you're trying to do ) - pet him, comfort him - stay happy, and stay in a good mood (no "poor poor dog" stuff.....). Take him for the short ride and then take him back home and play and have fun.

Your pup should overcome his fears if he is taken often for short rides - and realizes that this seems to be a fun thing for you. Also - interestingly - our little guys, even though they are afraid - still would rather go so that they can be with us... and not be left at home. (This works in our favor...)

**** I still remember the first time my little pup took a nap in his carseat. I thought, "This is good.....!" Now he sleeps a lot in the car.

1) Keep him in his carseat
2) Short rides at first - very very short, if necessary
3) Take him for rides often
4) Stay positive - don't baby him.... be cheerful
5) Take him back home and play - and stay in that positive happy mood.

Good luck! Carol Jean

PS: The one thing that made the biggest difference - helping my dogs enjoy riding in the car -- was the fact that I did get them a carseat. Mine are "Lookout seats," and they are up higher, my dogs have a lot of room, they are comfortable, and they can look out the windows and see what's going on in the world.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!