Thread: Roached back?
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2006, 07:48 PM   #1
LeaveittoBiewer
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Roached back?

Hi everyone,

I bought Max from a breeder with the intentions of possibly breeding him. He appears to have a "roached back" and it's more noticeable when he's eating and sometimes simply standing in place. From reading previous posts on this characteristic, I am learning that this is a hereditary trait and can pass from one generation to the next or several generations. Before actually purchasing Max, I visited him and the breeder, saw both parents and played with him for a bit. It was noticeable then and when I asked the breeder about it she said that was just how some puppies are and that he was going through a growth spurt. And that he would grow out of it. I shrugged it off because surely the breeder was so knowledgeable and she didn't seem fazed by his seemingly curved spine either. It almost looks like he's on his tippy toes. His legs appear "tall" for he doesn't have the cobby short-legged look. He reminds me of a cat that gets up and stretches after laying down. I wish I had a picture to post but I need to downsize it before YT will download it. I'll try and work on getting a pic posted.

I understand that if indeed he does have a roached back that it will not affect his overall health or quality of life but I'm questioning if I should even breed him now. I've had him for five weeks and it hasn't gotten better. He's only 16 weeks old so perhaps he WILL grow out of this condition? I guess my questions are these:

Is 16 weeks too soon to determine a true roachback?

When or if I DO determine that I should not breed him, should I contact the breeder and ask for some sort of monetary compensation for not being able to breed him? I paid a higher price for him because she knew I wanted to breed.

Are breeders supposed to make a buyer aware of ALL defects, medical and cosmetic?

I take some responsibility in not knowing what to look for but I guess I trusted her to educate me or at least tell me that Max was not for me. Being a novice, I thought I was getting a top quality pup and was very excited at becoming a breeder and perhaps I focused too much on pedigrees and the "german biewer hype". (Max's dad is a champion and there are other champion bloodlines for both dam and sire). I just want to begin my breeding debut on the right foot.

Ok folks...don't yell at me TOO much. Just looking for some guidance. Thanks for reading.
LeaveittoBiewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!