View Single Post
Old 10-19-2006, 06:04 AM   #14
Erin
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

BarkBusters is a franchise. I don't believe you need any certifications to open one, as you don't technically need any certifications to be a "trainer" You might have had an OK experience but someone else might have a terrible one.

We've covered all of these things in positive reinforcement training classes and I didn't even need anyone to come to my home. And there is no scaring involved. You can train your dog to go to their "spot" or crate or whatever when the doorbell rings just by practicing and giving them a treat every time for doing so. You condition them to go to the "spot" and wait for the treat when the bell rings...

Leash walking is easy to teach. I've seen HUGE dogs who are terrible pullers learn to walk nicely in an 8 week CGC course. I taught Loki in about 2-3 weeks with a 20 min walk every day. You just stop when they pull, and then they let slack in the leash you praise them and give them a treat and keep walking.

We solved the hyper dog problem by sending Loki to daycare once a week and wearing him out before bedtime. He also has gotten significantly better now that he's grown out of his "puppy" stage.

I'm glad that it helped you but I would absolutely NOT recommend them. I've heard so many horror stories.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!