View Single Post
Old 10-03-2006, 05:45 PM   #4
SJK1113
No Longer a Member

I must be really lucky because I have a 13-week-old puppy, and I'm using the pee pads right now. He rarely has an accident and always goes on his pad. Most nights he will sleep through the night, but sometimes he wakes up and has to go. He sleeps with my hubby and me, and he's too little to get off the bed, so he will bark to let us know he needs to go. Since he is so good about using the pads, we have been letting him run free.

We decided to use the pee pads since he is really small, and we thought it would be easier for him, as well as safer since he's too little to use a leash, and we don't want to take him outside without one. Eventually, we will start moving the pad closer to the door and then outdoor train him.

I got him when he was 9 weeks old, and I showed him where his pad was by putting him on it and saying "potty" several times. I got lucky that he had to go right at that time, so I praised him ALOT and he has been good about it ever since. We don't have to leave him alone very often since my hubby and I work different shifts, but on the occasion we leave him, we leave him in our bedroom with the door closed. He has his own bed and his crate of toys in there, plus his pee pad and his food and water. He does fine and always uses the pad. We also keep his crate in there with the door open since he sometimes likes to sleep in there.

When you were keeping him in the bathroom, did you leave him plenty of toys to play with and chew toys so that he doesn't get bored and chew his pad? Your puppy is still very young, I think it just takes lots of patience. I'm glad I've lucked out so far.....let's hope mine doesn't regress lol

Good luck to you!
SJK1113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!