View Single Post
Old 10-03-2006, 05:11 PM   #3
Friley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie2006
I read somewhere where up to I think 6 months, a puppy can hold his bladder as many hours as he is months old. If that is true, then you might be expecting too much. Most puppies don't like to soil their den. Have you considered putting his crate in a utility room or bathroom that you can fence off with a baby gate, or put the crate in an ex-pen? With either set up, you can leave the crate door open and set up an area outside of the crate with a pee pad where baby can go if he can't make it until time to go outside. I know when Gracie was 8-12 weeks old, she would wake me every 3 hours at night to take her to her pee pad. She is now 4 months old and wakes me about every 4 hours to use her pee pad. Last night, she held the poo all night until 5:30 am which is our usual wake-up time.
I thought I might be expecting too much for his age, in which case we'll just have to deal with it for a while. As far as the x-pen/small room idea, when we first got him, I stuck him in a 10x10ft. bathroom with a pad, his crate and food and water. We tried leaving him there 8 hours a day since he had all the essentials. Well, he would pee on the pad about half the time, maybe a bit more, sometimes pee behind the toilet, and he would never poop on the pad, I think he did it only once. Or he would chew the pad to shreds.

Also, we are undecided ourselves if pad training is a good idea or not. We've read a bit about crate training, and it seems most agree that the success of that depends on the dog not going in the house at all, he must learn to go outside. Because even though he goes on the pad, its just training him that messing in the house is ok, and eventually he won't care if its a pad, the carpet, a rug, whatever. So thats why we started doing the outside thing, and I like the idea of my house not smelling like pee/poop on the pad. I'm not sure which way is good since most people on here have good success with it.
Friley is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!