View Single Post
Old 09-30-2006, 10:37 PM   #1
isevilla
Yorkie Yakker

Confused New puppy 3 mo old wont eat

I am new to this forum and also new to owning a yorkie. I am having a feeding problem with my new puppy who is now 3 mos old. i apologize in advance for the long post.

Here is whats going on and i hope that someone can shed some light on the situation.

I brought the puppy home a week ago wednesday. I took her to the vet the very next day as needed for warranty. Vet said she was ok but showed some symptoms of kennel cough so she was put on antibiotics. She was on the meds for a few days. i then gave her the revolution flea and heartworm stuff. When i brought her home i was given a bag of canine 33 dry food. I went to feed her and she didnt eat it dry. The next feed i gave it again but this time moistened she still didnt eat it. she went for a feedings without eating much of this food so i switched to nutro max for puppies dry food. She still wouldnt eat it so i called the vet. I took her in on a monday afternoon as she had not eaten but a few bits here and there the whole day so i was worried. the vet then gave her some wet vet food and brought her back to me with the bowl completely cleaned out. the vet then gave me a tube of nutra-cal and said to give it to her when she wont eat or 3 times a day. she did fine for the rest of day since i mixed the wet and dry together. come the next morning she wouldnt eat again no wet/dry mix at all. so i give her the nutracal and her antibotic. she went from the am hours to about 3pm without eating. 3pm rolls around and she eats a 1/4 of a 1/4 cup of dry mixed with about 2 T of wet food. 10pm rolls around and she gobbles up the whole 1/4 cup dry and 2 T wet mixture. next day in the am she doesnt eat again. so i go and buy her the nutro natural formula since i read on the web that some yorkies love it. i bought both wet and dry formulas. she loved it the first couple of feeds and then went back to the no eating business.

i have been keeping a log for the past 5 days on her eating, pooping, etc and here is what i come up with so far.

8am - gets up to go pee etc from crate, then try to feed her she eats a 1/4 of whatever i put out which was originally 1/4 of dry nutro natural and 2 T of wet nutro natural. have now gone down to 1/8 c of dry and 1T of wet. out of this she will eat 1/4 of it or hardly any at all.

10am- i try again to feed with fresh food. again only eats a tiny bit

3pm or so - she eats all of her food

7pm - try to feed and she eats only a bite or two

10pm - same as 7pm

12am - she eats all her food.

She will not eat dry food at all i have found. tonight i fed her about 3T of wet food and she goobled it all up. this was at 12am and she had not eaten since the morning which was only a bite or two at the most. i have given her nutra-cal 3 times today.

i really dont want to go giving nutra-cal every single day now and i surely dont want to be mixing and heating etc etc.

is the little that she is eating enough or do we have a problem? i would also like to get her into the habit of eating dry food. i am out and about quite frequently and also have a toddler here at home too. dry food is just plain simple to lug around while out and to feed etc and i heard its better for them as well. it seems to me that she is just being really picky and i would like to get her out of the habit asap. should i just feed her the wet food from now on or what? do i just not offer food and give only nutra-cal and hopefully she will hungry enough to eat more than one real meal daily?

im really getting frustrated as i have tried so much in the past few days and nothing is working out. i find it so hard to believe that she ate at the place we bought her from.

again i apologize for the extremely long post i wanted to make sure i explained everything. i would also like to thank everyone in advance who responds.

Is.
isevilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!