Thread: Science Diet?
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2006, 11:07 AM   #4
yorkieusa
Crazy about Kacee!
Donating Member

OK. I hope this helps you to decide what to feed your puppy. I just picked any Science Diet puppy food and this one had these ingredients:

Ingredients
Ground Whole Grain Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Soybean Meal, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Dried Beet Pulp, Chicken Liver Flavor, Dicalcium Phosphate, Brewers Rice, Fish Oil, Flaxseed, Soybean Oil, Iodized Salt, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, vitamins (L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.
http://www.hillspet.com/zSkin_2/prod...=1159296290089

Now, from this site I find this information regarding ingredients:

The first 4 ingredients are the major components of any food and one of the first two ingredients should be a clean meat source, meaning no by-products, fractionated grains, soy or corn.
Federal guidelines require that manufacturers list their ingredients by order of weight. What many people don't realize is that many list their protein source in it's "wet" raw state when as much as 75% of the weight is water, pushing that ingredient to the top of the list. When the meat is processed in the "meal" state (removing the water) it becomes about 5 times lighter and should probably be listed as the 4th or 5th ingredient. Don't be fooled by deceptive marketing campaigns!!!

Whole meat meals (chicken meal, lamb meal, fish meal) are just the meats with the water removed for ease of blending, and an excellent source of protein. Many "Senior" or weight management formulas will have a grain first on the label. This is fine too, as long as it's a whole grain such as whole millet, rice or barley to name a few. Corn, soy, wheat middlings, rice hulls, peanut hulls, corn syrup and the like are RED FLAGS that this is not the most nutrition food you could be feeding your dog. Don't just take our word for it. Read more info here.
The label won't lie, but it can be deceiving. If the above mentioned chemicals or ingredients are in your dog's food, please re-think feeding it. If you just want the cheapest food out there, be prepared to deal with ill health.
If you have a question about a specific ingredient on your dog's food label, email us. We'll refer you to an unbiased source for an answer. We don't just want to sell you something but want to help you learn as much as you can about pet foods.
http://www.holistic-hounds.com/AboutUs.html
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!