Thread: Science Diet?
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2006, 11:03 AM   #3
Lacy's Mom
YT 3000 Club Member

Here are the ingredients for the Science Diet puppy small bites:

Ground Whole Grain Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Soybean Meal, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Dried Beet Pulp, Chicken Liver Flavor, Dicalcium Phosphate, Brewers Rice, Fish Oil, Flaxseed, Soybean Oil, Iodized Salt, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, vitamins (L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

Corn is the first ingredient. Corn is a cheap source of protein that is not easily digested. Look for a product that has meat as the first ingredient and no corn.

Second ingredient Chicken by product. This means the intestines, feet, head, feathers, beaks, etc. of a chicken. Also undigestable. A little further down Pork fat - I've always been told to avoid pork with yorkies because it can cause an attack of pancreatitis.

In my opinion, this is not a good food. I feed Nutro Ultra, but there are many good foods out there like Chicken Soup, Innova, Blue Buffalo, Wellness, Royal Canin, Merricks, etc.
Lacy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!