Thread: God!!!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2006, 10:01 PM   #12
Tophersmom
Donating YT 500 Club Member

I did in home daycare for many years and I must say I was absolutely shocked at how difficult it was to get paid on time. I knew all of my moms well and I thought that would ensure that I would get paid on time...nope...didn't make a difference that we were all friends. They thought nothing of 'putting off' paying me.

I finally had enough and drew up a new contract stating that due to the difficulty I was having collecting monies from the parents, I was to be paid on time and if payment was late, no childcare would be provided. They kicked up a stink. I couldn't believe it. All of the families I dealt with were not rich, but they were quite 'comfortable', let's say. And even though they said they loved and appreciated me and all the extras I did for and with their children, they never took into consideration that I was relying on this money for bills, etc. Out of all of the families I dealt with, only ONE paid me on time each and every week...(she worked for a childcare organization herself).

I would NOT pay for this woman's child care. I don't know anything about state money, etc., as I'm in Canada and I don't know how that works, but I know that I wouldn't pay monies to another sitter for any reason.

In my contract I made sure that I put something in there regarding 'sick days' in case myself or my children became ill. The parents had to have a back up plan in case of such an incidence. I never really had a problem with this issue, thank heavens.

I don't envy you your situation as it's a difficult one. The only way to enforce your contract is to go to court and who wants to go through that hassle?

I finally had to give up daycare because of my health (I was diagnosed with M.S.) and you know what....when I gave my final notice all of the parents were so sweet..all gave me cards and a couple gave me gifts but three parents STIFFED ME for childcare and I ended up losing almost $400.00!

I tried collecting, but I really didn't push it as I had other things on my mind. I never did get the money.

I congratulate you on doing what you do...it's a hard job...the hardest I ever had. It's just too bad you're not appreciated more (financially) by your parents....they need to realize how lucky they are to have a good caregiver.

Best of luck! (sorry I was so long winded!!)
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!