View Single Post
Old 09-10-2006, 11:32 AM   #14
stellablu
Yorkie Talker

Patti - Well his size is one issue, his ears never trained and his coat is more the curly variation than silky. I could bring up this, as well, but I'm over all that and it never really mattered to start with. I like his floppy ears.

About the rescue, I have to be careful because I have a six-year-old daughter, pet rats, and sugar gliders. I worked with Tucker since seven weeks old to be around the other pets, and also socialized him with the cats and other dogs, and just about any other animal he might come across (horses, goats, and even a monkey!) So, early socialization is a really important factor to me and I am concerned that the dog might have had a run-in with a child who didn't know how to handle dogs, and be snippy with all children. It's a possibility, I pop my head into the local shelters and rescues and petfinder.com every now and again. I actually found a 12-lb female yorkie about the same age as Tucker that was being fostered, but the very day I inquired about her she was adopted and going home the next day. I can trust Tucker with my sugar glider and I'd really like the opportunity to teach another dog how I'd like them to act around the smaller pets, but if I find the right (slightly older) oversized dog, I will be checking her out. I'm just going to be super careful about bringing home the first furbaby that needs a home without making sure they fit into our household.

Yorkiegirl2 - I was aware of the Yorkshire being a larger dog prior to 1930, and that's not what bothers me. I actually wish there were an actual breed with the same size and attributes as the original, maybe an Old Yorkshire Terrier hahah I don't know. It was the just the fact that current standards were exceeded and I was not told of any suspicion that they might.

He was one of seven pups when I showed up to visit the litter. It was evident that he was the larger, "huskier" pup out of the litter. I am quite positive that two of his sisters who were soooo tiny and shivering are most likely in the 3-lb. range as adults. The sizes in pups was across the spectrum. There was surely some indication of mine being the "healthier" and stockier one of the bunch. I should have listened to my instincts, but I wanted him off the bat. He wasn't shaking or frail, he was just completely alert and ready to play. We met the father who had a curly coat, very handsome dog though. I asked about the mother several times, but the question was lost in conversation...and forgotten about (or ignored, perhaps).

She was a nice person, but I think that on our second visit to pick up Tucker when he was old enough to come home I should have asked to see the rest of the litter to compare sizes. I drove four hours (twice) to pick him up, paid $1100 for him, and really think I deserved an "oh, by the way, he might exceed 7 lbs" or anything of the sort.

I'll write her an email, sending a picture along, and see if I can, at least, enlighten her about how large her line might be carrying. I really should have asked how many litters she's bred, but she seemed fairly knowledgeable so I didn't think to ask it.

Wish me luck! I just have to find a nice way to get my point across without sounding thoroughly upset. Thanks for the advice!

Join today and remove this ad!