View Single Post
Old 09-10-2006, 01:39 AM   #1
stellablu
Yorkie Talker

Default Should I say something or keep my mouth shut?

Tucker is almost a year (in November) and he now weighs 18 lbs. I wouldn't trade him for the world, but I can't help feel upset that the breeder was negligent.

Either:

A. She wasn't an experienced or responsible enough of a breeder to know he would exceed AKC standards.

or

B. She knew and sold him the same price as his much small siblings anyhow.

Regardless, I got a yorkie because of my allergies and they were pretty good candidates for agility trails. I was really hoping we'd be eligible for the purebreed trials, and not just the ones open to non-AKC.

Is it too late to bring up the fact that I am upset to have a dog that was supposedly bred from a 6-lb mother and a 5-lb father come out to be THREE times the size of the mother?

I was not expecting a "teacup" or something outrageously small or misbred, but just your normal 6-7 lb Yorkie. I was expecting the breed standard, nothing more and nothing less.

Now, I'm interested in a second dog for a companion and I really like the size of Tucker because you can rough 'em up while playing and not worry about hurting him as much...but if I get another Yorkie it might be a "normal" sized one and make my current dog look like a breed outcast. I'm almost wanting two Tuckers for the price I paid for him. I like having a sturdy, sporty dog so a "yorkie" the size of Tucker might not be a bad idea as a second dog.

Would it be wrong for me to ask for some kind of discount on the next "large" pup she has? Would it be wrong to simply voice my issues with her service?

I have spoken to several breeders about my issue with her and they all said they learned to recognize what the breed standard was and how to better guess which pups would fall under it and which wouldn't. If they didn't think a puppy would make the size, coat, color requirement then they would discount, or find a home for it. A more humane option to culling it. They ALL agreed that by no means would they advertise it as being registerable as meeting those standards and sell it full price, let alone not informing the customer of what the breeder had taken notice to. A few of them agreed that if you are a breeder that does not know to recognize a potential in a pup to meet those standards, or that does not care to learn to, that they should not be breeding dogs at all.

I don't know what to do. Tucker needs a dog his own size, plus I have my allergies and small pets that other hypo-allergetic or non-shedding breeds will go after.

What should I do? Keep my mouth shut or voice my concerns and see if she's willing to work with me?

Thanks for your opinions.

Join today and remove this ad!