View Single Post
Old 09-08-2006, 09:24 AM   #3
TatumsMom
Donating YT 500 Club Member

First of all, I'm so sorry for your loss of Max... second, Congrats for Bailey. I can most definitely understand your feelings. We had to put down our 15 year old toy poodle a couple years ago. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to choose to do. He was everything to me (and us).... he was my "first born" that I got when I moved away from home - before marriage, before kids. I was completely and utterly devastated when it came time to let him go. He had many issues towards the end but with medication and diet, he lived way longer than I thought he would AND he had a very full, happy life. It was the stroke he had his last day that pushed us to make that horrible decision. I have never been one to go into any kind of "depression" but I really think that's what happened to me afterwards. My family was concerned about me..... not that I was despondent or anything but I just "functioned". It was a really good friend of mine that completely understands the human/dog bond who convinced me to find a new pup. I even had a heart to heart with my vet (small town, great friend) who "deemed me ready" also. He had so many great things to say about my relationship with Dax (the poodle) and said that he thought I was ready to move on and be the best mommy to another very fortunate pup.

Like you, I did feel a bit guilty and concerned about what other people thought but my family saw how much it changed my frame of mind and were all for it. We got Tatum about 3 weeks after Daxton's passing.

I don't know what I can say to make you feel any better because it was such a gradual thing for me. I can just say that it will get better. You KNOW that you gave Max the best possible life and had no choice in the end to end his suffering. You can KNOW all of that all you want but try to convince yourself that it really is true. You will fall in love with Bailey and it will be a different love but a wonderful love none the less!

Now I've got a huge lump in my throat and tears in my eyes so I'll sign off. See, it (the love) never goes away and it's hard to talk about for a long time but I know that we (my family and I) will never forget our first furbaby and love our second just as much!!

Hope that helps just a little.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!