View Single Post
Old 08-31-2006, 12:20 PM   #6
yorkieusa
Crazy about Kacee!
Donating Member

I don't know if she has anything or not, but I looked up getting a cold:

Question:

"My dog seems to have a cold. She is sneezing and sounds a little congested. Can I give her something over-the-counter for it, or do I need to take her to the vet? Other than those symptoms, she seems fine--playful and eating right."

Answer:
Dogs do get cold-type infections—"kennel cough" is one—that are contagious between dogs but not between dogs and people. As in people, they usually run their course within 10 to 14 days. If your dog is eating well, is energetic, and doesn’t have any underlying major medical issues (such as heart disease), you can treat her at home with basic nursing care.

Don’t give your dog any over-the-counter medicines for her cold, but how about a little chicken soup? Just lukewarm (you should be able to stick your finger in it and hold it there comfortably), and not too oily or salty. You could also run a hot shower and hang out in the steamy bathroom with your dog for five or ten minutes once or twice a day to help loosen the congestion.

Clean gently around her eyes and nose with wet cotton balls a couple of times a day if she has mucus there. Make sure she gets plenty of rest and water. She’s probably contagious, so she shouldn’t have nose-to-nose contact with other dogs until she’s completely well.

If she should get so stuffed up that she loses her appetite, or if her eyes should seem itchy or sore, or if she starts to cough so much that she (or you) can’t sleep, then you should take her to the vet.

http://urbanhound.com/houndHealth/Sh...er.asp?QID=372
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!