View Single Post
Old 05-16-2005, 04:41 PM   #13
daisysmom
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default My experiences with small babies...

When we got Pochi he was < lb at 10wks. From our breeders advice we bought the brand of dog food she was feeding the litter as well as NutriCal as she warned me about Hypoglycemia in small dogs. He was healthy(took him to the vet to verify the wellness check) but was very shy and wouldn't eat any food we gave him (solid or soft). I began to worry and there was 2x where I was scared he would die when he went into sugar shock and had a seizure like symptoms. I had to force feed him for 2wks and watched him 24 hrs a day to make sure he was still alive. NutriCal and Karo syrup is what probably saved him. He is now a healthy fat 3.5 lb dog (fat in a good way! ). We got his brother, who is smaller than him and had no problems with eating or hypoglycemia. His brother is outgoing and has a healthy appetite. It was like night and day. I guess the point I was making is that if your pup is healthy and not shy and there's no problems with hypoglycemia (from either parents) you shouldn't have a problem. I'd probably keep him with you til he's 12 wks to avoid any separation anxiety and such and by that time he'll be acclamated to eating solid foods.

Last edited by daisysmom; 05-16-2005 at 04:46 PM.
daisysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!