View Single Post
Old 08-24-2006, 06:51 PM   #11
Dan & Corinne
Inactive Account

My little Jewel had seizures too. How old is she? How long has she been having seizures?

This is a bit long but I know from experiance that it helps.

We learned a lot about seizures during the course of Jewel's illness and we want to share what we learned. If you can, have her put on Potassium Bromide since it would not harm her liver or kidneys like Phenobarbitol does. Potassium Bromide takes longer to contol the seizures but it's so much better for the little ones in long term use. The P.Bromide will require periodic blood test to see if she is getting enough to control the seizures. If your doctor is not familiar with it, find a doctor who is. Phenobarbitol is really butal on them.

Some things you can do to help her (inexpensively) is to add plain gelatin to her food. The gelatin is supposed to nourish the brain. Also, consider taking her off of foods that are glutens like wheat, corn, soy & dairy products. Gluten is the main ingrediant in glue products. It coats the intestines, like glue, and blocks the body from being able to absorb important vitamins and minerals that the body & brain needs.

You may also want to consider having her wear a bell so you can hear if she has an attack.

THINGS TO DO DURING A SEIZURE:
*Keep a ice pack in the freezer & vanilla ice cream
*Grab a towel (incase she looses control of her bowel or bladder)
*Stay calm. Gently talk to her.
*During the seizure, put the ice pack on her back between the lower ribs and her tail. It helps to keep her temp down and is supposed to shorten the duration of the seizure.
*After the seizure, she my pace around and could even walk into furniture and walls so keep her in a safe area.
*Give her a little bit of the ice cream to help cool her and give her some sugar.

If the seizue lasts more than 2 minutes GET TO THE HOSPITAL!

I kept a log on Jewel that I took to each doctors visit. I had the date, time and duration of the episode. What she was doing just before it started and how she acted after.

Seizures can be triggered by Thyroid disease or a liver shunt so if she hasn't been tested for it get it done so you can rule it out or treat it.

I hope & pray she gets better.

There is a very informative web site for seizures:
http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-...m/site_map.htm

Also I have a thread about Epilepsy & Allergies that may help you.
http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43979
Dan & Corinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!