View Single Post
Old 08-13-2006, 09:13 AM   #13
Lorraine
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Tail docking in Yorkies is done before 5 days of age. There really is not much of any bleeding and the tail at that stage is barely more than cartilage.
The natural tail is very long and I didn't care much if it would ever be banned to dock tails but have now changed my mind about that one.
In Germany, tail docking etc has been banned for years. You cannot even show a dog bought elsewhere with a docked tail. I read an article in a show magazine where a long time respected show breeder in Germany was saying that the injuries to tails in Yorkies has increased astronimically since this law has come in. They tend to break them easily I guess because they are long and thin. Then they are docked where the break is.
I would rather stick with proper docking to about midlength of the tail than having all dogs with long tails and risking a painful injury.
FOr those of you that have dogs with long undocked tails, certainly don't run out now and have them done on older puppies or adults at this stage, that wouldn't be right. They could very well be just fine but be aware they can injure them.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!