View Single Post
Old 08-10-2006, 06:24 AM   #17
cheryl000
YT 1000 Club Member

The only thing that bothers me is when strangers don't ASK about petting Brandy or picking her up. Brandy barks around new people so she kind of "goes nuts" in my arms barking and scratching wanting the attention from new people. I understand that she my little a little vicious from the barking, but she just wants to be petted by them.

One lady at the park reached over to pet her while she was on my lap barking at her and then she said that Brandy bit her! I told her that I'm sure she just scratched her, because it was time to trim her nails. Sorry, I KNOW MY DOG, and she doesn't bite! The lady had a freaked out look on her face as if she expected me to apologize. I was right there and I know she didn't bite her. But in my opinion she also shouldn't have tried to pet her without asking. You don't touch me without asking, you don't touch people's kids, you don't touch people's cars, so I don't see what the difference is.

I think I'm seriously going to tell strangers NOT to touch her when they try to from now on. What if the lady made a bigger deal about Brandy scratching her SAYING it was a bite? Or if it was a kid? I don't want to be held liable for that. Worst of all, I don't want someone who doesn' t know about dogs reacting to Brandy being excited and her getting hurt.

So I understand exactly what you mean. Just because we're out walking our yorkies doesn't mean that we're the ambassador of the yorkies. If we're busy or in a hurry doesn't mean we should be obligated to stop for everyone. It's not exactly a petting zoo. Sorry if I come off as rude, but that lady in the park kind of changed my opinion on it.
cheryl000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!