View Single Post
Old 08-10-2006, 04:54 AM   #12
BLowry
My furkids
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn_V
Hmmmmmm... I may be putting my foot in my mouth here... but really guys???? Poor us??? We have the cutest dogs in the world... Some of us do their hair, keep them brushed, dress them, and go to great lengths to maximize the cuteness factor! And you DON"T want people to gush and fall all over your dog?

I have to admit... I had a bit of an issue with kids poking and wanting to pick up my girls at the ball fields when my daughter was playing Softball... It was a total pain in the a$$... So I stopped bringing them... which I did not like... two weeks later I bought a stroller! So I could take them and nobody could touch them! No kids could poke and they could still come and enjoy the game!! I could have them out if I wanted and then zip them up for a "rest" or "nap" when ever I felt like it...

But seriously.... I have two Yorkies.. Not two German Shepards... if you had a Shepard.. I'm sure nobody would be running across the street to kiss it!! or calling it to the gate!! And they surely would never try to pick it up!!! But we don't have Shepard.... We have high profile Fru Fru dogs!! Pampered Pooches that make even the biggest men melt at the mere sight of them!!!!

But seriously... We all chose an irresistible breed... Can we really fault people for not being able to resist them??? If you want them protected from the hands and lips of would be strangers... Don't expose them... Put them in a purse or stroller... or better yet... scoop them up before they do!

But if you want a long term solution... set ground rules! All of my neighbors know that they are NOT allowed to pick up my dogs... Simply because a drop could seriously hurt them... And I have explained this to them all when they were introduced to my girls... They know... you have to sit on the ground if you want to hold them... Its silly... and not very many of them will plop down in the grass just to hold them... So its worked out very nicely! And they have all coached their kids as well.... Nobody tries to pick them up... I've only been here 4 months now... And slowly but surely I've met almost everyone on my block cause of my babies! And I rattle off a few do's and donts.. and a nice to meet you!!! Its worked so far!!! (no treats, no human food, no kisses... its a germ thing! lol) I laugh and they laugh... But I get my point across...

Ok, so being in a foreign country.. I see how that could be a bit tough!! Language barrier and all... I'd get someone to translate your wishes and have it written down and print out copies!!! And then keep them on you, something funny, lighthearted but to the point.. and make your wishes known! Smile and laugh and they can laugh with you! Most people will understand, and those who don't... screw um... they still need to know how you feel!!

Or you could just trade your Yorkie for a Shepard.... JK

When I walk Sadie I have people coming up to me oooooing and awwwwing! I don't have a problem with that. I don't get people wanting to pick her up so often though, they will usually sit on the ground and play with her and, of course she goes out of her mind kissing and hopping around like a bunny! I agree with you..they are the cutest little dogs around and everybody is interested in them and ask all kinds of questions but, if someone asks to hold her (usually a child) I just explain that she is very active and I wouldn't want them to drop her and have her get hurt. I just tell them to sit down and she will go to them...this usually works.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!