View Single Post
Old 08-09-2006, 01:42 PM   #15
elliotts4
Senior Yorkie Talker

I know exactly how you feel I am going through something similar with my 17 yr old son...he's actually my step-son...but I have raised him since he was little and I have always been the one there for him. He is actually living with his girlfriend (at her moms) right now because he doesn't want to follow any of our rules. He says we treat him like a child...because we didn't allow his girlfriend to stay the night or for him to be out till when ever he felt like coming home or helping with any household chores....so he decided to move out. We live in Missouri...so at 17 yrs old they are no longer considered a Juvenile and the Police will not make him come home. The thing that is really tearing me up is that he has always struggled with school and I don't think he is going to finish high school. I have always been in close contact with his Teachers to try to help him pass his classes and we even paid $250 a month for a year for tutoring when he was younger. He had to repeat 2nd grade in elementary....so he will only be a Junior this coming year and he only has about 7.5 credits He will turn 18 yrs old in Sept. right after school starts. His girlfriend graduated last year. They are wanting to get their own place and get married

I finally told my husband that we had to back off and let him make his own choices....even though we will be the ones crying inside with each mistake or heartbreak he has to go through. Nothing we say or do will be acceptable to him. He just feels like we are trying to tell him what to do and it just pushes him further away...so we have to play the "tough love" card and pray for the best! Another thing that really bothers me is it is tearing up my daughter, his sister....she is only 10 yrs old and she feels like he is abandoning her She just doesn't understand and gets mad at us.

Good luck with your son....at least he graduated high school and went on to college....my hopes of that are slowly shrinking I'm just hoping he will open his eyes....and soon!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!