Thread: Home School?
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2006, 03:44 AM   #5
lolabella
Donating Yorkie Yakker

I was not home schooled, but at college I had some friends that were. I wish I had been home schooled. Yes, your kid may be considered sheltered compared to some, but consider why? Because your child would not be traumatized by the imbalanced kids who have no control over the way their hormones are ruling them. I have never seen an environment like my high school again. In the real world, my peers were actually nice, and I quickly realized that no one can yell at me for making mistakes the way my teachers did. Everyone may have traumatizing experiences in life, but the way to prepare your child is not to let them get traumatized early in life.
As for discipline, yes you do need to be very very strict about when your child is going to study, and about homework too. At the same time, you can have as many field trips as you like and hold classes in more educationally stimulating environments. Home schooling is what you make of it. If you believe you can provide a better (and fun) environment for your child to learn and mature in, then you should home school. If you will approach it as a chore, both you and your child may end up being miserable about the process.

Join today and remove this ad!