View Single Post
Old 07-05-2006, 11:59 AM   #5
Ladylavender
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLC12345678
You can gradually move the pad closer and closer to the door and one day place the pad right outside the door. Then gradually move the pad from right outside the door to the grass.

You can also just leave the pad put in your apartment and just start taking her out every 2 hours and right after she eats. Also watch her and if she ever looks like she needs to use the bathroom (sniffing around), then just take her outside.

Sometimes it can be confusing for dogs to be taught to use pee pad AND outside. But with patience and consistency, I am sure it can be done. I have always just taught mine to go potty outside, so I probably can't give the best advice. Maybe someone else on YT has had this same experience as you and can give better info.

You also may want to do a simple search for "potty training" or "outside" or something like that. This subject has been brought up several times, so I am sure there is some good info on YT that has already been posted. GOOD LUCK!

By the way, Welcome to YorkieTalk!
This is the correct way to do it. But I want to stress that the movement of the paper closer to the door should be done in the smallest of increments. There should be little to no discernable notice that the paper has been moved. The reason is that dogs get used to going and looking for the paper in a particular place. If you move it too much, the puppy may go, where the paper used to be. If you start moving it and the puppy should go back to where the paper used to be, you will need to put the paper back and move it again, later. To be sucessful, you need to do it at your puppy's own pace. If they are getting the hang of it real quick, moving the paper can be done in a shorter time span.
Ladylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!