View Single Post
Old 05-04-2006, 06:39 PM   #2
YorkieRose
No Longer a Member

Default breeding

I have bred for 33 yrs and never had a bitch with an infection after whelping or before. I have known many, many breeders who have had it occur more then once.. needing emergancy spayings..a few have lost their bitches.

I have been asked for advise many times..and I have no clue if anything I do works, but this is my routine before and after breeding...males and females were not kept together. I find male urine to be the worst place for bacteria to grow..female urine sure isn't perfume, but it is not the same.
I allowed my males play time with the girls..they socialized..if they were together indoors with the girls I put belly bands on the boys.

Twice a year everything was removed from the rooms and the entire spaces were washed down with chlorox..all pens were power washed, floors were power washed..walls..EVERYTHING! At others times I just maintained normal cleaning.

After whelping the girls were given a clean out shot of oxie. I took their temps for a week following whelpings..if it spiked, they were put on meds for a week. I use RubberMade bins for moms/pups..and bedding is changed daily if need be..I use the small quilted bed pads..they make them the size of the bins. You can turn them over and use both sides for more wear.
I am a fanatic on keeping mom clean..the first week I bathe the rear end with Chlorhexaderm/rinse well...takes a few minutes with the dryer.
Best wishes
YorkieRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!