Thread: heeling
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2006, 09:26 PM   #7
MyTrixie143
Mom to 6 Beautiful Furkids

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega
Hi,
I have had several dogs and all of them were larger than my Yorkie. I took them all to training classes that used a training collar to train them. It has always worked wonderfully and never hurt the dogs. My question is - since I can't use one on a Yorkie's tiny neck, how do I teach her to heel? I don't want to use a clicker - the noise drives me crazy. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
omega
First of all, to everyone NEVER use a training collar on a yorkie, they have soft vocal cords and can become damaged if you were to use one. Have the puppy beside you (on your left side) and tell her to 'heel' and then coax her holding a treat right infront of her nose and then moving the treat a foot or two away so that she will have to walk to get to it. (Make sure it is a treat that she wants very badly, other wise she won't be intrested. If a treat doesn't work try using a favorite object or toy). Keep repeating this and increase the distance she has to walk in order for her to get the treat. If she likes to pull forward when you don't want her to, immediately stop and have her sit. Does this the second she starts to pull and make sure you do it everytime she pulls. The next thing to learn is for her to sit by your side before giving the command heel. Note: step off with your left foot. From there she will be walking so now you have her sit immediately as soon as you stop, tell her to sit as soon as you stop, give her two seconds to sit and if she looks like she is not going to do it then place her in a sit. This process has to be very quick, stop- one- two-sit. When you stop, please make sure she knows that you stopped, you can do this by taking two slow steps,and placing or stomping (not loud enough to scare her, just loud enough for her to hear it) so that she knows you have stopped. If she strays during the heeling part call her into you or coax her with a treat. After each practice and she correctly does it, praise her and give her a treat. I hope this helps.
MyTrixie143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!