View Single Post
Old 03-22-2006, 05:23 AM   #8
livingdustmops
Princess Poop A Lot
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by typerk
One of the most consistently bad advice options on this board is giving them treats for everything and tremendous praise all the time. .
Whoa! Some of the top rated trainers/experts in the world would seriously disagree with you. Tremendous praise and positive training has been going on for a long time and you can pick up book after book that will tell you this. You can watch any dog show or agility show and all of them use treats and positive training. I am not a trainer but I certainly understand the need to be very positive with our little ones. I have seen many a broken Yorkie spirit come into rescue and it takes a long time to rebuild. The only way is for them to trust me, and it takes positive training to make this happen. If they came into rescue and I continued with the yelling, hitting or just plain ignore many of them would remain in the corner or continue with their fear biting. I have read many books on this, I subscribe to the Whole Dog Journal and numerous magazines along with medical newsletters that all endorse positive training. I have also spent my entire life with dogs and watched my father train his field hunting dogs - all with positive training. There has to be a bond between a person and his/her dog and this is built through trust. I sincerely hope you really didn't mean how this was written.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!