View Single Post
Old 05-04-2020, 08:43 AM   #2
Bluebells
YT Addict

Hi, Julie. I’m fairly new to Yorkies, so I can’t give you any Yorkie-specific advice. However, I’ve fostered a lot of dogs and pups with medical issues for a rescue, and the details you’ve given about your Cosmo’s history raise some questions in my mind. Most importantly, has your vet given an actual or suspected diagnosis for your little guy’s digestive issues? Before being prescribed antibiotics, did Cosmo test positive for a specific bacterial infection or did he have an elevated white blood count that would point toward a bacterial infection? What did the vet determine about the mass that was found in late April? (I saw you said that it “moved” but is it still there and a possible factor?)

This is just my impression, but what you’re describing seems to go way beyond having a “sensitive stomach.” And (again, just my impression) it doesn’t seem your vet is being very responsive to how serious and long-lasting the symptoms are. Overfeeding, in my experience, would be more likely to make a dog fat, not cause six weeks of bloody diarrhea. Feeding expired food might cause an infection, but there’s been plenty of time to diagnose and treat one, if that’s the case.

I don’t mean to be critical of your vet, but even larger Yorkies are small dogs. I would be really uncomfortable letting this keep dragging on, while Cosmo keeps getting weaker and weaker, if your vet isn’t working HARD to find a cause. If he/she isn’t doing that, I’d be looking for another vet.
Bluebells is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!