View Single Post
Old 05-03-2020, 11:55 PM   #1
JulieRose333
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Cry URGENT- Vomiting and diarrhea issues with one year old Yorkie

Hey guys! Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy during this awful pandemic!

I am so happy to be a part of this forum! This is my first post!

I was writing to ask for much needed advice regarding our 1 1/2 year old yorkie, Cosmo.

When we first got Cosmo (at 3 months) we fed him Royal Canin puppy kibble and we kept him on that until he turned 1 year. Then we switched him to Royal Canin adult.

One day I was looking at the ingredients of Royal Canin and I was blown away at all the awful things I saw in there: Brewer's rice? Brewer's yeast? A bunch of other ingredients before anything with protein appeared. Immediately we decided to switch him to another brand of dog food.

At 1 year and 2 months we switched Cosmo to ZIWI peak air dried dog food which we felt had more natural ingredients and he loved it! And he did great on it for 3 months! It's an amazing food! Organic, all meat with kelp and vitamins. He loved it!

Then suddenly problems began to arise. Foolishly, we did not realize that since this food is air dried, it's very dense and you feed less than you would regular kibble. So he should have gotten a cup a day, and sometimes he was getting 1.5 cups a day. And I have to admit the screw up on our part that we were mixing flavors in his food dish (which I now understand is a big no no), so one day he would get a combo of lamb and venison ZIWI, then maybe the next day he would get venison and lamb tripe, etc.

We also made another screw up, as I understand it, the bags of ZIWI are only good 8 weeks from when you first open it. I could kick myself for not doing my research.

So it was around late March of this year where Cosmo started having problems with diarrhea, vomitting, and loose stool. We took him off the ZIWI and have only been feeding him boiled chicken from March 25th to present day (on the recommendation of our vet).

I am so sorry to bother all of you with the insanely long post be we are desperate. And because of this pandemic, our vet's office is completely overwhelmed and it's so hard to get an appointment and to get anybody on the phone.

If anyone has *any* suggestions for us, please. I would be so grateful.

To help you out, please look at this time line of when COSMO first started getting sick

March 25th - he had diarrhea an threw up. We gave him boiled chicken to see if that would settle his stomach.

March 26th - He had horrible diarrhea again this time it was bloody. We took him to the Emergency Vet since this happened in the middle of the night. He was given an anti nausea injection and fluid under his skin. They also gave us antibiotics (not sure which one - will see if I can get the name). From this point on, we have only been feeding him boiled chicken.

April 5th - Threw up again. Has very soft stool.

April 11th - Threw up up bile.

April 12th - Thew up bile. He didn't eat all day and ate very little boiled chicken at night. We also gave him some canned pumpkin on the advice of our vet (which he seemed to like).

April 13th - Not diarrhea but soft stool

April 16th
—10am - normal stool .
—8pm very loose stool.
—10pm he is shaking and dry heaving. Eats very little boiled chicken. Continues shaking. Then falls asleep on my lap.

April 17th -
—9am - diarrhea again (no blood) / Gave him boiled chicken after that diarrhea. Seemed fine and playful all day, no other bowel movements.

APRIL 19th -
—11am - vomited in bed. Bowel movement was soft. Not pudding or diarrhea...but on the soft side.
—ATE NOTHING ALL DAY.
—All throughout the day he would sit on our laps and sometimes he would shake.
—11:23pm - vomited up bile, twice.
—12:30am he finally ate. He ate very little boiled chicken and a little pumpkin.
—4 am- He’s eating all his pumpkin and the rest of the boiled chicken.

APRIL 20th -
—2:19pm - vomit bile

APRIL 21st -
—4pm - brought to VET for x ray. Mass inside was found. Cosmo held for an hour to have another x ray to see if mass moved.
—6pm - 2nd x-ray - mass did move but it is still there. Dr smith administered barium and asked up to come back tomorrow morning at 9am to see if there was a blockage

APRIL 22nd -
—9am - brought Cosmo in to Vet to have barium checked via X-ray. No blockage. Showed a lot of gas. Sent home with Metronidazole.
—6pm - soft stool.
FOOD: he ate 3 plates of boiled chicken and 1 small baby carrot.

APRIL 23rd -
—11am - loose stool but formed. Cosmo is refusing to eat so we cannot give meds. He is not himself and keeps laying down then getting back up. He seems to be in distress about something. Gas? He is sitting on my lap shaking.
—2:12pm - diarrhea
—2:14pm - bloody diarrhea
—2:24pm - bloody diarrhea
—2:24pm - vomited up bile 7 times
—3pm - took to astoria vet for emergency. Was given fluids under skin. Anti-nausea injection.
—4pm- Cosmo throws up twice at home after getting the anti-nausea injection at vet. He goes to sleep after that.

From April 24-27
—Cosmo still on bland diet of boiled chicken and if we can get him to eat it, a sweet potato. Also taking 2 metronidazole pills a day.
—NO POOP from April 24-27 (4 days) No throwing up during these 4 days either.

April 28-
—3pm - BOWEL MOVEMENT. Soft stool. Goes for long walk. Refuses food when we return home. Starts acting like he’s uncomfortable and nauseous. Refuses to eat or drink all day.
—11:40 pm he throws up yellow bile twice. He then goes to sleep.

April 29th-
—Cosmo eats his boiled chicken and rice, and is very playful and acting normal.

April 30th- Cosmo is playful and acting normal. He eats his boiled chicken as usual. NO POOP
—9pm - He is crying at his bag of regular dog food, so we give him literally the smallest half of a baby carrot with his boiled chicken. He is fine for a few hours, then he throws up the baby carrot and some of the chicken. After throwing up he goes back to acting normal.

May 1st - Cosmo ate boiled chicken as usual. NO POOP.

May 2nd - 1pm - Cosmo has BOWEL MOVEMENT. Very soft but formed. Does not have much of appetite but overall seems normal. (unfortunately, he seems to have a bowel movement every 4 to 5 days. That's been the pattern since he got sick.)
—11:30pm - Cosmo eats a small bowl of boiled chicken. This is the first time he’s wanted to eat all day.

May 3rd -
—11pm - all day Cosmo wouldn’t eat and is now eating his boiled chicken for the first time.
—1:30am - Cosmo has BOWEL MOVEMENT. It is very loose.Besides that he seems his usual self and playful.

So now our vet wants to put him back on Royal Canin and Tylan antibiotics for 2 weeks. At this point we are desperate for him to feel normal again. We don't want him on that food but we can do it for now until he's feeling better. We're not sure that the Ziwi air dried food caused this in the first place, maybe it was how much we were feeding him?

Does anyone have any advice on good quality dry food brands for sensitive stomachs and gastric issues? What are you feeding your yorkies? My thanks in advance!

Julie and Chris
JulieRose333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!