View Single Post
Old 01-30-2020, 05:43 PM   #1
Scot1888
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Kidney Disease Senior yorkie (In need of guidance)

Hi all,

Long time observer of this wonderful forum, but first time poster.

I'm seeking advice in regards to Kidney disease with my dog Lady who turned 17 in November.

Lady was extremely fit and healthy until last week everything changed.

At 6PM she had her usual dinner and she loves her grub let me tell you. She was on a senior diet, but an hour past and I found her in her bed to what I believed to have been dead. It turns out she wasn't, however she was unresponsive so we rushed her to the emergency vets.

Her they recovered her, gave her fluids overnight and said she was a diabetic which is why this happened.

Turns out our next vet said she was not diabetic, rather she had chronic kidney disease and we were it was untreatable and that her time was up in their opinion.

As any normal human does, I went for a 2nd opinion as she means too much to me just to take the word of one person woth all respect to them. The bad news was, the 2nd vet agreed.

I'm finding this incredinbly difficult and believe me I want whats best for her, I really do. I've been by her side all her life and her by the biggest part of mine.

So I started looking on here and online at experience with this disease and the number one way to manage it (I understand its not cureable) is to start on fluids, attempt to lower the levels and then progress onto a diet or phospate binder.

Here is where I'm now hitting my snag. Lady has lost a decent amount of weight, she slepts a lot (she always did anyways) and she is having diarhea. No other symptoms are present apart from those and the obvious dehydration hence my desperation to get her flushes and on fluids.

With this said, neither of the two vets want to do it, they're literally saying your only option is to put her down. Lady has always been a fighter. She is still eating her favourite meals, will still scoff a treat, albeit she has symptoms, but I'm really stumped here.

My mum is too emotional to think properly, so shes just agreeing with the first thing the vet says.

Can anyone offer any guidance on how you would proceed? I understand this is a somewhat long post, but I needed to give as much detail as possible for you wonderful people to understand it all.

I have my reasonings for trust issues with certain vets, but I wont get into that.

In my head, I want her stabilized on fluids, to give her the required fluids when needed, to kickstart a new diet so she can start gaining her weight back and to use a phosphate binder to keep those levels low.

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart any advice is appreciated so I can properly guide this hellish situation.

Last edited by Scot1888; 01-30-2020 at 05:45 PM.
Scot1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!