View Single Post
Old 01-09-2020, 02:19 PM   #7
matese
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_and_Me View Post
That's so true. Over here people don't teach small dogs any tricks and I think the whole bonding through training is unknown to people. Our little training sessions helped Mike so much with his focus. He's also VERY food motivated like Cody so I'm lucky this way, he learns very fast if I have good treats. Every new person that meets Mike and sees him perform his little stunts are usually in a positive state of shock Last summer I was making him do a lot of those while we were outside to teach him to focus a little more cause he's very reactive and anxious in new surroundings. A person walking by told me "why are you torturing your dog this way? Let him be a dog and smell the grass and be a dog" ugggrrrrr I didn't even say anything back. Working with our pups helps them work their brains, bond with us, build confidence, strengthen focus and many more. And also its very cutttteee
When I had my first yorkie she also was not a tiny, as an adult she weighed 13 lbs. I figure, she's so small she doesn't need training. I was a camper at this time, this girl was very good, she listened. 3 years later yorkie # 2 joins the family, same thoughts, needs no training after all, she's not a German Shepard that would need to be trained, also another 13 lb kid. Another 3 years later #3 bossy lady joins our pack, she was 9 lbs, of course, same thoughts on training. Now I have 3 untrained on commands dogs. Puppy #3 at 9 months old gets out of her confined area at the camp ground, do you know how fast a 9 month old can run once they find they are free. So through the woods I am running after the beast and crying thinking I am never going to catch this baby, she of course didn't respond to being called, I stopped to grab a branch, called her said fetch, she paused and I was able to grab her. That is when I discovered size does not matter, all dogs must be trained. Reason why I trained Cody as soon as I got him.

It's good that you're training Mike outdoors where there are many distractions, it teaches him to focus on you. Ppl do not understand the importance of training at a young age.
I know for myself, I didn't want to be firm with my puppies, I feared it would break their spirit, I loved their high energy and wild child ways. I have learned much over the years lol.

All dogs small or large must be trained for their own safety.
Keep up the good work mama it will pay off
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!