Thread: Titer testing
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2020, 02:13 PM   #8
Lovetodream88
Yorkie mom of 4
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_and_Me View Post
Thank you for the link, I read this article last year as well as some others on Skeptvet about dog nutrition. The article doesnt say anything about one year booster being extremely important to building immunity, but gives a good explanation of difference between humoral and cell immunity and why titer testing does not give a conclusive answer on whether the dog is truly immune to a disease with both high and low titers. However, I went in the comment section now and this is what skeptvet wrote in response to one of the comments.

So as far as making decisions for your own individual dog, there is no way to be 100% certain that he or she is protected and doesn’t need a booster vaccination. High titers are a very good indicator that a vaccine is not necessary. Likewise, the recommended booster intervals are reliable for the vast majority of dogs (the same is true for humans, which is why we rarely have titers for the many things we get vaccinated against). Doing a titer annually or at some point earlier than the recommended booster interval could have several outcomes:
1. High titer- Your dog is almost certainly protected, and no vaccine is needed. Doing this test was probably unnecessary, but harmless and perhaps it reassures you.
2. Low titer- Your dog is likely protected since we’re within the recommended interval for boosters, but the test doesn’t tell us one way or another. You can choose to vaccinate, which is unlikely to do harm and which may or may not add protection (there really is no way to know). Or you could choose not to vaccinate, though again there is no other way to know if your dog is at risk. Or, there is a very tiny chance your dog could have low titers because it is a non-responder who doesn’t get protection from vaccination. In this case, vaccination won’t help directly, but again there is no way to confirm this with certainty.

and this

So given this evidence, I generally recommend an initial series for CDV and CPV, then boosters at 5-year intervals until about 10 years of age. That means, for most dogs 2-3 booster vaccinations. Most vets now boost every three years, so that might mean 4-5 boosters, depending on how long the dogs live and if they stop vaccinating at some point.

If we titer test annually (because we can’t predict from one test when the antibody levels will decline), then we might choose to skip some or all of these boosters for animals with high titers. This would be fairly safe, though the test does actually have a fairly high false positive rate, so depending on how many dogs in our test population have low titers, a fair number of them could mistakenly test as if they had high titers.
My dogs go to a lot of dog stuff and with 4 it would be very expensive. It’s very safe to do DAP every 3 years and rabies every 3 years and then my yearly vaccines which titers don’t work for. Here in the US it’s the law to have rabies some states it’s every year but most are every 3 years and a titer isn’t usable. You can get a medical exemption in some states for rabies but not because of a titer anyway. So the only thing this would be useful for in the US is DAP. With DAP being very safe for every 3 to 5 years honestly it’s more cost effective to just get it. With my pack and Callie having a lower immune system the dog flu shot and bordatella are very important to keep her from getting anything that could effect her respiratory system. The flu can be very dangerous in older dogs or dogs with low immune system. Kennel cough even in a healthy dog can cause them to have to go on multiple antibiotics for over a month which can cause antibiotic resistance. Even if it doesn’t have every strain of kennel cough just like our flu shot it still lessens the symptoms. Lyme is very serious here and after hearing about several dogs who got Lyme and then their renal system shutting down and causing death I won’t play with that. One of my trainers locations is also on a farm. I have to be honest I enjoy having a conversation with you about this rather then like an aggressive argument sometimes things get heated lol I honestly can’t find the research I have been looking for about Cushings dogs and whether to vaccinate or not. Life tells me when you have a weakened immune system that you need the protection but I just do t know. I’m going to talk to the internist Monday and even my regular vet. I’m in a group where the people say it’s bad but can’t site anything with it.
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!