Thread: Titer testing
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2020, 10:11 AM   #4
Lovetodream88
Yorkie mom of 4
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_and_Me View Post
Isn't the research on titer testing pushed AAHA to update their guidelines from yearly to now every 3 years for core vaccines? I'm not an advocate for under vaccination for both animals and humans, but I think its great that those who don't want to vaccinate every year (based on reading about serology tests and research done in the last 10 years) now have this choice to not to. And those who believe in vaccinating every year can continue to do so.

I don't think that doing titer testing and giving booster for core vaccines every 3rd year instead of every year means going natural?

I never got flu shots as child or adult because let's say a flu shot you get in 2019 is based on a flu strain of 2016 and it seems pointless because several new flu strains appear every year, so the shot can not protect you of what's coming. But then again, we should have a choice whether to do it or not to do. I get that it's different with dogs and especially with rabies vaccination, but it's thanks to research and titer testing they are considering approving the 3 year rabies vaccine here. If I know my dog's protected against it after only one shot, but we have to do it by law I'd rather prefer doing it every 3rd year instead of every year.
Titer testing is not what made them change when we give shots. Right now it’s a false since of security with titer testing. And actually the one year boosters (the ones a year after puppy shots) are extremely important in building the immunity. Even those who don’t want to vaccinate anymore always get the one year puppy booster because it is significant in the process. I do think every year on the core vaccines is to much minus the puppy boosters. Titer are just not 100% and don’t show the full picture your dog could show high immunity to say parvo but still not be protected from it. I know the thought of titers sounds great but the research just isn’t there yet. Sadly a lot of even states over here require rabies every year which is crazy. I’m hopeful on the study that will show it’s good for 5 years. Even if the glue shot is off by the strains it will still lesson the symptoms. I have had the flu and the real flu not the I have a cold so I’m going to call it the flu and almost killed me so if there is anything I can do to possibly prevent that I will.
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!