View Single Post
Old 01-29-2019, 07:07 AM   #1
merlin7676
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default I need some help on separation anxiety quickly

We brough our new puppy home on Saturday so he's only been here about 3 days now. For the most part he's great. Loves to play, loves to snuggle, ect.

However when we put him away while we're not activity engaging with him he goes nuts. Whines, cries, howls, screams, yells, ect. I have never encountered a puppy who is this bad.

We do have him in our master bathroom with the door open and a babygate across the door. He has his food/water, potty pad, toys, doggie bed. But anytime we put him in there with the gate closed so we can leave or eat dinner or what, it's constant banging on the gate, screaming, howls, ect.

I know we're not supposed to acknowledge it so he doesn't learn that doing that behavior gets a response. So we've let him go at it. Sometimes he stops after a bit but it's been getting longer and longer until he does.

Last night we played and played with him hard hoping to tucker him out so he would just fall asleep and be done. Even that didn't work, He literally did it for over 2 hours at which point my husband, who was getting very pissed at this point, took him out and put him in bed with us.
I know, big no no, but we had to work and have already gotten some...not complaints, yet from the neighbors, but comments, where you can tell they aren't happy about the noise since we're in a condo. I imagine it won't be far until we actually receive a complaint if he doesn't stop.
Husband even said maybe this isn't a good idea having him for a dog right now.

I know he's a puppy and we're trying to be patient but it cannot go on this way. We just took him to the vet and he is in perfect health so it's not a physical issue. She even commented on how well behaved he is as he was just sitting on our laps most of the time except for the exam when he was a happy go lucky puppy.

I'm going to get one of those heartbeat toys and give him an old shirt that I wore last two nights but if it's in this bed or close by and he's at the gate crying and banging I don't know how that will work. But he cannot keep this up.
merlin7676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!