View Single Post
Old 11-24-2018, 12:41 PM   #4
matese
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

I would not say a hostile yorkie is typical for the breed. I feel it's about the socialization they had when they are puppies. Every puppy I ever had yorkies and other breeds as soon as they had their last vaccine I had them out meeting ppl and dogs. My girls loved all animals and ppl.I now have a rescue yorkie, got him when he was 2.5 yo,he's now 7.5 yo,he is not dog friendly because he was not socialized around dogs when he was a puppy but, he loves ppl. Having a dog that is not dog or ppl friendly can be an issue.

Your baby looks like a yorkie to me. And they are very trainable, my kid know lots of commands and several tricks that I taught when he was 2.5 yo. With terriers training sessions can only be 5 to 7 minutes long, after that they loose interest, so teach one command at a time, no more then 7 minutes through out the day and reward with lots of praise and a treat when he gets it right.
I would never leave a yorkie off leash, all terriers have a high prey drive, if they see a squirrel, chipmunk, bird they will be chasing it down. Unless you have a very well trained yorkie that is not distracted by what's going around him and comes on recall I would not let him off leash you may never get him back.

Your baby is still a puppy, obedience classes can work wonders with unfriendly pups.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!