View Single Post
Old 10-31-2018, 04:19 AM   #1
Mike_and_Me
YT Addict

Question Need your advice - mange? fungal? staph?

So our little guy had what vet suggested was a non infectious mange whe he was around 6-7 weeks old. There were small red wounds on his belly and he was licking/itching that area a lot. Following an immunity-booster shot he got and cleaning the area twice daily with an antiseptic the wounds healed and black crusts/spots formed. The itching and licking stopped all together, but the black crusts/spots stayed. Some of them fell off, some of them grew larger as Mike's body grew up in size as well. What we now have is a very blotchy black belly. Doesn't bother him, doesn't itch, is not red/infected and doesn't seem to change in size as his body growth slowed down a bit.

Vet confused me, because 3 weeks ago we had our last puppy shot and she said she wanted to give a treatment for this belly spots but didn't want to give it at the same time with the shot. Yesterday we went back for a check up and a de-worming medicine and she said "oh well it seems like this is just a pigmentation and maybe its genetic and maybe it will get better as he grows up or maybe the spots will stay on his skin". I told her if it's just a question of how it looks, I don't really care, but it doesn't seems like a pigmentation, because when I daily continue to clean his belly with an antiseptic I can see black-ish brown coloration on the cloth I'm cleaning with. I'm afraid it can be a fungal or staph infection.

If you read until now BIG THANKS. I'm looking into a dermatologist vet that can do a microscope test, but those are quite hard to find where we live. So meanwhile I want to start doing something... I looked into different dog shampoos that address skin issues and see that most of them include - chlorhexidine and ketoconazole. My question is - can those be directly applied in small % to his skin, maybe one day one and the next another? I have a chlorhexidine 2% spray and a ketoconazole 1% cream at home (both are for humans though). I think the current antiseptic doesn't do anything.

Also I read that coconut oil is beneficial in case its a secondary fungal infection - does anyone have any experience?

I will attached a photo of his belly to the next post.. thanks guys. hoping for some advice.

Last edited by Mike_and_Me; 10-31-2018 at 04:20 AM.
Mike_and_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!