View Single Post
Old 07-15-2018, 04:15 AM   #9
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

First, bless your heart for taking this poor little one in !

The main thing right now is to understand she may have been extremely traumatized from being a stray. We don't know what happened to her out there - she could've been chased, had rocks thrown at her, shouted at, almost ran over by cars...who knows..? But extremely traumatizing for any little stray to heal from.

So, some of the healing will just take time and patience and learning. One thing you may want to try right away is buying her a Thundershirt to help make her feel more secure; there is science behind the way that shirt works. I got mine on ebay - great prices!! I wouldn't get on the Thundershirt website, it'll be way more $.

If things don't improve, don't hesitate to talk to your Vet about something for anxiety for a while...during her adjustment phase.

Give lots of love, treats, soft reassuring voices, little neck/shoulder massages if she'll let you - my dogs melt when I do this for them. Gently massage the ears.

It just takes time. It's sad what's been done to some dogs who are strays or in shelters. I adopted my Arthur (neurotic chi, lol) from the shelter where I volunteer bc out of 500+ volunteers, he wouldn't let anyone touch him except for me and one other gal. Arthur never learned (or was allowed..?) how to play or have toys when we adopted him; and now even 3 yrs later, he still only knows how to play with me a little bit by laying on his back and playing little "hand/paw games". But I LOVE him soooo much, my Arthur; and he adores me. And I *know* he feels safe and loved with us, and he will have that forever now.

Sooooo strays can be tough/concerning/different -- but so special too, bc you're able to heal them with time. Hang in there - and please keep us posted !

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!