View Single Post
Old 07-14-2018, 03:36 PM   #7
Shicks
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matese View Post
Aww poor little baby, so sad to hear things like this. She is only with you 4 days, that is not enough time for this baby to have trust in either you or your husband, the fact that she has bonded with your husband is huge since who knows what that poor lil thing went through before she was found by the ppl that gave her to you. Keep in mind you "may" be the 3rd home she has been in in a matter of months. These babies that are found as strays you will never know what their past was like, were they abused by humans, children, other animals. You won't know how long she lived as a stray before being found. She was with these ppl that gave her to you, then given to you, she doesn't know she is in her forever home, she needs time to adjust, to trust and bond. You must have much patience with this little girl, don't be sad because for now she prefers your husband, be happy that she trusts him. Everything needs to be done in baby steps with this little one. For now, when she is with your husband don't go near him where she will growl or snap at you, avoid a situation, you're not giving in to her, you are helping her by showing her you are not a threat to her. You don't know if a human female abused her and she's afraid of women. If it was a woman that handed her over to you, she may fear you as a woman will take her away from a person she has gained trust in. Give her space and time to see you are a loving woman and not one that will cause her any harm. Just let her settle in for several weeks, don't force anything on her. Don't force yourself on her, let her come to you on her terms, her time, her choice. Make sure you are the one that always feeds her, gives her treats, make yourself her only food source. It's ok that you do all for her and she chooses to snuggle with your husband for now, things "may" change once she sees "you" are her only food source. She has to build trust in you and that for now should be your only goal. I would not scold her right now for anything, firm tone from you is a threat to her. She is not going to change overnight, it could take weeks before you see any changes so do not give up on her. Cheerios is a favorite treat for most dogs, carry some in your pocket, offer one or two throughout the day for no reason at all, ya know the old saying " the way to a man's heart is through his stomach" well that works on dogs too lol, more so for dogs then man lol.

Don't worry that she doesn't know about playing with Ruger, she can't know what she never had. You continue playing with Ruger, when she sees Ruger is having fun she will join in. For now let her be content in your husbands lap, she's been through a lot and needs to put that all behind her. Do don't be sad, resentful, annoyed, upset that she wants only your husband "for now" these dogs pick up on our emotions and feed off it, what you want is a happy dog that has no fear of their humans. The way to achieve that is to have positive feelings about this lil baby, gaining her trust in you is your mission. Food and soft praise works wonders. Be happy this lil girl has found her way to you, be happy that she has found trust in your husband after all that she has been through. Do not force friendship between Ruger and her, let her go to Ruger on her terms, her time. Forcing anything on her at this time can do more harm then good, everything has to come from "her" when she is ready and feels safe and comfortable. Again, please, do not be sad, hurt, this little girl does not know you to dislike you, she fears you as a human, love, trust has to be earned it is up to you to gain this love and trust as a human that will not harm or hurt her. Food, yummy treats, boiled chicken cutlets offered as treats can work wonders in building trust. Remember the phrase.

I would also talk to your vet about spaying, you don't know when her next cycle is, every cycle she has puts her at risk for mammary tumors and Pyometra, your vet "may" want to give her more time with you before spaying, but you need to speak to your vet, you can also have her micro chipped when she gets spayed.

Please let us know how her adjustment in her new home with you is going. We love our babies and love yours as well.
Oh my goodness, I could not get through this such wonderful, caring, informative advice without crying. I love these babies more than anything. I have sacrificed so much to be with and nurture my baby Ruger.
Yes, we really think this little 4 lb. girl had a rough life. Her 1st pp. didn’t chip her or spay. I had my Vet do a Titer test to see where she is on immunizations.
I won’t be surprised if it comes back negative. I will do anything for her to love me. The pp. that found her did post on Facebook. They live so far out in no where they couldn’t go door to door. That’s why they think so was lost for so long and her little body has been through starvation, infested with fleas & tics, so, so skinny. I believe if they wouldn’t have found her she would have been dead in a few days. This is breaking my heart.
Yes, I am the food, treat, outside potty training Mommy. I have been concentrating on Ruger making sure he’s still “King”.
My Vet & I decided to put weight on her before spaying, and teeth cleaning. It’s possible she comes into heat before then, but I pray she won’t.
I’m soooo great full to YT for all the loving Yorkie parents.
Thank you so much & I will give lots of up dates. I CAN make this work!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!