View Single Post
Old 03-15-2006, 05:02 PM   #30
red98vett
Yorkie Kisses are the Best!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemn
I read some of the other threads but not all..

I am a believer in breeding to the standards set by the AKC, and breeding with another dog that has strong points where your female has weak points.

I know of a very reputable show person, she told me it is all politics really- not the best of breed always wins, and you are fooling yourself if you believe that... the show world is filled with politics and who's who.

I also don't believe that you need to show to breed, come on- if you are going by the AKC standards, why does a judge have to tell you if your dog is good enough... your vet has cleared your dog of all health issues, why does what a judge feel, the only way to go? one dog may win over another because the judge liked their looks better... even though both dogs were 100% on the mark for standards. Does that mean the one who didn't win isn't good enough?

I myself would not buy a dog by a person who breeds and shows if they put their dogs into other homes after their breeding life is over- I myself want a dog who comes from a family breeder, one with a small amt of dogs, and one who keeps them until they pass.... I want to know that the breeder, has dogs because she wants them, and doesn't get rid of them when they are no longer bringing in the dough.

Everyone has their preferences, that is why there are so many different breeders out there.... just because I like things one way, doesn't mean it has to be that way.

I see a lot of people who feel superior because they are "show" people.... I guess if you feel you are better than any one of us who has, or will breed a dog, following as close to AKC as you do... well then more power to you... but there are many who feel that your way isn't the way it has to be... and just because some breeders dont' show doesn't mean their dogs are of any less quality than yours.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.... and can you believe this one?? I bred a yorkie, who I didn't show, and I got a pup who I have been told by the vet and a show person that my pup is show quality.... but it isn't for me... I am not going to subject my family pet to the life of a show dog... she loves the grass, she loves to run through the snow, she loves to be "free"... not kenneled to protect her coat.

People just need to take pride in what they do... and not worry about what so and so may think... who cares? If you are doing what is right by the dogs then there is nothing to worry about.

Brenda...
WOW.....THIS Was a wonderful post ...Very nicely said and you have a great way with words.....

I think you summed up what many of us feel...at least I know I do...I appreciate all the people who offer their opinions...but I really relate the most with what you just said.

this post has ALOT of heart...
red98vett is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!