View Single Post
Old 12-19-2017, 10:28 AM   #8
canana
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

I highly favor crate training to minimize accidents as well. But it comes with a lot more initial effort (but very much well worth it in the long run)! And you need to stick with a strict schedule for about a year as Rachael1983 mentioned.

I crate trained my two when they were 5 months old. When I first brought each home, I took them out to potty every 3-4 hours. At 15 weeks, I would imagine you'd have to give them potty breaks a lot more frequently - say, every 2-3 hours in the beginning and build up from there.

No peepads or bedding in the crate or they'll be comfortable to pee on it inside the crate - and that really defeats the purpose.

I tethered them to me at first so there'd be no sneaking off somewhere to have an accident when they were out of their designated area.

Key is to prevent all accidents. Any time there's an accident, make sure you clean it properly (i.e. Nature's Miracle) and then make adjustments to prevent another similar accident. For example, if she pees on a mat. Take away the mat and/or limit the access to that mat or area. If she has a pee accident within 3 hours, make sure to take her out every 2 hours. Do this until all potty is done outdoors. Then slowly increase the time to 3 hours. This will be over a span of weeks and months.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!