View Single Post
Old 06-01-2017, 06:09 PM   #4
FlyingNimbus
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayleighL View Post
I know what it's like to be the owner with the dog that barks incessantly! It's a sad, frustrating situation either way. Our sheltie (many years ago) was a barker. Shock collars were out of the question. Distractors lost their benefit in about 10 minutes. We tried a collar that emitted a smell instead of shock and the only effect it had was on us. Exercise was just a warm-up for the main event. It was awful. And to make it worse we had aggressive neighbors who would torment the dog.

Now we are on the other end. One of the tormenting neighbors now has a barker of their own! Our dog is not a natural barker but she would woof under her breath a couple of times and when she does that she loses the privilege of being out with us. In she goes. No scolding. Nothing. Right to her enclosure. And we go right back out to "play." We wait a few minutes and let her try it again. It only took a few times to teach her that if she wanted to be out she couldn't do that. We also used commands to help keep her busy and working for us so she got (and gets) a lot of praise for being otherwise involved.
Yeah they don't seem to be soo bad that they torment the dogs they seem like nice old people... just not very practical when it comes to certain things... To be honest, if it goes on-- I'll just let her stay there and let them bark it out and if the neighbor doesn't like it-- he's welcomed to bring his dog inside.

I can't just keep the dog indoors all the time. I haven't been able to walk her much because I haven't gotten used to the route in the new neighborhood. We instead take it out with us whenever we run errands (obviously not to a grocery store or inside-- I just walk her on the parking lots, or take time after the runs and go to a park and walk with her there).

I have bad sense of directions sometimes...

Still going to find a way to deal with it.
FlyingNimbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!